FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: little gps help?  (Read 3321 times)

TA

little gps help?
« on: Aug 30, 2014, 03:54 PM »
I want to get a "used" GPS to help me with trolling speeds less than 1 mph. Wanting to troll at .8 to may be as low as .7 mph. The one I have now only register down to 1 mph.  Any suggestion? Thanks..
Just like it, only diffrent.

JG

Re: little gps help?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2014, 08:23 PM »
I have a Garmin 60CSx bought off of E-Bay...it will read your speed down to 2 digits(i.e. 1.2 etc)
Hope this helps.....

MoreTroutPls

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2014, 11:01 AM »
I have a Delorme pn-60 that I use.  It does show speeds less than 2 mph; however, I don't troll at very low speeds and I question the accuracy at those very low speeds. 

Another much less expensive option other than a GPS is a Luhr-Jenson trolling speed indicator.  This website tells how to use it when trolling very slow. http://www.darrellanddads.com/depthcontrol.pdf.   When I was a kid (long before GPS days), we had a similar one.

Good luck.

Everyone believes in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2014, 11:18 AM »

I question the accuracy at those very low speeds. 

This is an excellent observation.
Last night I did a little research on GPS accuracy.
I found most manufacturers claim a +/-0.1 MPH accuracy, but when tested they in fact show a more typical +/-0.5 mph accuracy.
Now, I still feel what the person asking the question is looking for is a unit that actually displays a reading below 1.0 MPH.
AND, I'm going to read between the lines here and say this person is really looking for repeatability in his display of a certain trolling speed.

I don't care if I'm doing 1.9 mph (or t#$ MPH).
If I'm catching the target fish at 1.9 mph, I want to keep trolling at 1.9.

I own a few GPS units and have only had a chance to test one of them to see if I can get a reading below 1.0 MPH
I do know that my Lowrance HD5 Gen2 will go below 1.0 because I have used when drift fishing.
Sooooo............. ;)

Not sure if you wish to spend that much cash just to measure speed.

TA

« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I'm trolling for bluegill and they seem to hit my worm harness at a speed under 1 mph. My current gps reads zero under one mph. For consistency I'd like to know at what speed the gills are hitting and be able to easily keep returning to that speed. And yes I don't want spend a lot of money either. That's why I 'm for a used GPS that will read at lease down into the tenths of a mph. May be they didn't make such an animal. Thanks

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2014, 07:02 PM »
My little handheld Garmin Etrex gives me speeds in the single decimals.
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

TA

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Which Garmin Etrex model do you own?

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2014, 07:00 AM »
My 20 year old Garmin V reads down to the tenths. I would imagine most of them do.

Consumer GPS's are actually quite accurate for judging speeds. The point data is randomized purposely to give it less accuracy in finding an exact point, but speeds are determined by comparing the point data and the randomized algorithm is factored in. It's as close as you'll get anyway.

jopes

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2014, 02:33 PM »
My HDS and Ipilot on my Terrova display .1's of a mph down to 0 mph

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.