FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Barbie chain of lakes  (Read 2312 times)

High Flags

Barbie chain of lakes
« on: Aug 31, 2014, 09:47 AM »
Got out yesterday on the chain

http://lakes.grace.edu/files/uploads/lakes/BigBarbee-GrassyCreek.jpg

My bud Jimmy and I had never fished it before from open water, we were fishing Kuhn and doing OK for gills and he got and idea to challenge ourselves to see if we could catch at least one each fish each from every lake in the chain.

I thought we did it but I see now we missed Shoe and Heron lake??   never seen the entrance to it.  Oh well we got to visit and fish all the other lakes and we did catch fish from all of them, a  great group of lakes to fish.

We caught gills and redears on crickets and beemoths and wigglers in 12ft of water using ice ice jigs. forgot my camera sorry no pics,  oh I also hooked  soft shell  turtle that was fun to get off the hook.

Next time we are going to hit the Shoe and Heron and ...LOL     

icecleate

Re: Barbie chain of lakes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2014, 12:50 PM »
Glad to see you had a good trip!

gilldan

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Sounds like a good trip.  I have fished there many times.  I have never been able to get to the other two lakes.  Did you fish the little lake that is connected to the west end of Irish.  I can't recall the name but it starts with a W.  It mostly has small gills in it.

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Sounds like a good trip.  I have fished there many times.  I have never been able to get to the other two lakes.  Did you fish the little lake that is connected to the west end of Irish.  I can't recall the name but it starts with a W.  It mostly has small gills in it.
That would be Banning.

Blueultra2

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Banning lake is to the north of Irish. I don't think Shoe lake has public access and I would assume that Heron is the same.  It sounds like you guys had a great day chasing those gills.

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Got out yesterday on the chain

http://lakes.grace.edu/files/uploads/lakes/BigBarbee-GrassyCreek.jpg

My bud Jimmy and I had never fished it before from open water, we were fishing Kuhn and doing OK for gills and he got and idea to challenge ourselves to see if we could catch at least one each fish each from every lake in the chain.

I thought we did it but I see now we missed Shoe and Heron lake??   never seen the entrance to it.  Oh well we got to visit and fish all the other lakes and we did catch fish from all of them, a  great group of lakes to fish.

We caught gills and redears on crickets and beemoths and wigglers in 12ft of water using ice ice jigs. forgot my camera sorry no pics,  oh I also hooked  soft shell  turtle that was fun to get off the hook.

Next time we are going to hit the Shoe and Heron and ...LOL     

Glad you guys were able to make it out there and had a good time. The Barbee chain consists of 7 lakes. Kuhn starts the chain and runs into big Barbee then into little Barbee and then Irish and Banning. Then you have Secrest which is the clearest. All 6 of those lakes drain into Sawmill which drains into grassycreek. You can then take the creek down to the tippicanoue chain of lakes (which consists of 3 lakes) but you will have to go through a lock first. I can't say ive caught a fish out of every lake in one day but I have been to all 10 lakes in the same day. That area is certainly an adventure!!

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Banning lake is to the north of Irish. I don't think Shoe lake has public access and I would assume that Heron is the same.  It sounds like you guys had a great day chasing those gills.
Far northwest corner of Irish.

Blueultra2

« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Far northwest corner of Irish.

My bad WD.....   ::)

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2014, 09:46 AM »
And just what were you "yaaahooos" doing in my neck of the woods? 8)

stinkybaits

« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Dink dinky dinks. Not worth the gas money.

crappiehunter

« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Glad you guys got out on the chain. It is fun to move from lake to lake
Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

Felix

• Myfishfinder Sponsor
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2014, 07:58 AM »
And just what were you "yaaahooos" doing in my neck of the woods? 8)

BASHIN !!!! Lol
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Hit big barbee today target was bluegill the deep water pattern was still intact kept 38 most were 8to9 had one almost 10 but all good heathy and fat 20 ft of water 14 ft down red wigglers the bait sorry no pics my phone is on the fritz

High Flags

« Reply #13 on: Sep 07, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Nice to hear they are still hitting , sounds like you had a great day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.