FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Some Fly Rod fun  (Read 2606 times)

tRoutBUm8976

Some Fly Rod fun
« on: Sep 02, 2014, 09:21 PM »
 Got out to a favorite river of mine the past few days with the fly rod hoping to catch a few smallies and Fallfish and maybe get into a few trout. I was pleasantly surprised to find the trout action was great and there were plenty of smallmouth and fallfish to fill in the gaps!! I didn't get any picture worthy smallies but they were in great numbers in spots, I did catch a couple of nice sized Fallfish though   ;D

This was a nice hold over out of this river for this time of year put up a surprisingly hard fight and was a beauty I thought I had a much bigger fish on when I hooked into this one

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
Re: Some Fly Rod fun
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2014, 09:35 PM »
They are some beautiful bows!  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2014, 11:03 PM »
nice ones scott, first/last fish is a good one from there

thedirtydirtyfisherman

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2014, 06:25 AM »
WOW!! nice rainbows and plenty of them for this time of year.  Those fallfish are beasts as well.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2014, 08:41 AM »
Nice fish, Scott.  Monster fallfish for sure. ;D

Did you get a water temp?  I ran into some 72* plus water north of you on Monday.  Left the trout alone and hit a batch of bass in that bath water.  I had to get up in elevation to find water that was 64* and safe for C&R trout.

tRoutBUm8976

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2014, 09:06 AM »

Did you get a water temp?  I ran into some 72* plus water north of you on Monday.  Left the trout alone and hit a batch of bass in that bath water.  I had to get up in elevation to find water that was 64* and safe for C&R trout.

I still need to get me a thermometer but by the feel of it water was most likely around 68* had trout willing to come to the surface to bite and a couple were hanging out in water that was only about 3 feet deep

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Rainbows are more temp tolerant than brookies.  An alcohol thermometer is like $10-12.  Well worth it with all the fish you catch and mostly C&R.

I still need to get me a thermometer but by the feel of it water was most likely around 68* had trout willing to come to the surface to bite and a couple were hanging out in water that was only about 3 feet deep

teampar

• "It is what it is"
« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Nice fish!

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2014, 11:16 AM »
Nice trout , and those rubber nose trout (fall fish) are really big ones

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2014, 10:33 PM »

water temp was probably in between 68* and 70* there.  flows are slightly above average there keeping the fishing decent to good

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Nice pics.   We are dead smack in the middle of peak fallfish season.   Keep a few if you want to do any catfishing...they are one of the best cat baits around.

thedirtydirtyfisherman

« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2014, 11:47 AM »
how do u fish them for catfish?  Chunk them or cut them like for pike?

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2014, 02:26 PM »
how do u fish them for catfish?  Chunk them or cut them like for pike?

chunk 'em up and fish them in any deep holes with cover.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.