FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hot dogs for catfish?  (Read 13065 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Hot dogs for catfish?
« on: Sep 09, 2014, 10:32 PM »
Hi all,
I heard the other day that hot dogs / franks are a good bait to try for catfish.
The one article I read said to leave them whole and the other cut into chunks.

Have any of you ever tried them for cats, channel cats to be exact? :-\
If so, how did they work for you, and did you add any additional scent, or use them just as they were? ???

I know I have had some luck on hotdogs for pike, so was curious when I heard that they were also used for catfish.

I bet those cheese favored smokies would quite appealing as well. ;)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

centerpinjosh

• live to fish forced to work
Re: Hot dogs for catfish?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2014, 08:32 AM »
I have heard of people using hot dogs as bait but I would go chicken liver for bait and have the dogs and smokies as a snack lol

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2014, 08:40 AM »
I know guys that have used pork chop and steak bones.

:laugh:

Actually, this a joke played by a few friends of mine.
They hook one on your tipup and then trip the flag when you aren't looking.
I've seen them use hotdogs too.
This is why I got to thinking about this joke.

I have tried hot dogs in the past when I was a kid.
Never had any luck.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Cats will eat anything.   corn, hotdogs, bread, plastic worms, nightcrawlers...if you put it in front of them, they will eat it.   Its tough to beat chicken livers for smaller cats and cut bait for bigger cats.

cabrolet

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2014, 02:10 PM »
Have not tried it but heard other people using the cheaper dogs, cut em into chunks then leave em out over night to dry em out a bit and make em stay on the hook better.  I use fresh or frozen cut Gizzard shad here in VA as this is the local forage year round.  Tried bluegill (where legal) and cut eel.  Now eel is a darn good bait for cats and stays on the hook real well as the eel skin is tuff.

slamber

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2014, 02:32 PM »
I used to live in Nebraska and did a lot of catfishing for channels, blues and flatheads. I've used about everything you can think of including regular cheap hotdogs and johnsonville sausages. I used the normal hotdogs regularly, they work well. I would just break a chunk off and thread the hook through (I used large circle hooks unless I was using live bait). The sausages we used one time because we forgot the bait cooler. We kept the food and beer in a seperate cooler from the bait. We had some sausages in the beer cooler for dinner so we just used them the same way as we used hotdogs; they worked just as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.