FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Squam Lake Help?  (Read 1435 times)

zwiggles

Squam Lake Help?
« on: Sep 17, 2014, 10:32 AM »
I am planning a trip up to Big Squam for the weekend of the 28th of Sept. to do some fishing. We have a cabin on the northeast side of the lake, and i was looking for some advice on how to approach the lake. I have read that it can be quite difficult to navigate as there are many rocks that like to eat up props. We will mainly be targeting salmon/rainbows, but we also enjoy bass fishing and trolling for lakers. Any advice on where to go? Or maybe where not to go? Having never been there before I was planning on doing some extensive exploring, but i don't want to get into a part of the lake which is particularly dangerous without knowing ahead of time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

zwiggles

Re: Squam Lake Help?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Also are there any good bait shops in the area? I would like to have the option of some live bait.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2014, 07:15 AM »
It's a scary lake to navigate indeed. It can go from 100' deep to 4' deep in as little as 20' distance. Really have to be careful, but it is quite well marked. Just make sure you know how to read the markers and have a good compass at the helm. If I were fishing there I would focus on smallmouth for sure. For one, you'll have to troll deep this time of year and that increases your risk of snagging bottom. Two, I have trolled that lake pretty extensively and never found a laker on the end of my line. Now someone else may say different, but I feel it's just not a great trout fishery. May be just my experience. On the flip side, the smallmouth fishing there is fantastic! In my opinion one of the best smallmouth waters we have in the state.

You might want to post this in the regional board, it may get more action there.

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2014, 01:03 PM »
thanks for the advice. im new and didnt even realize that i hadn't posted in the correct thread. hopefully i get some more responses in the local forum.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.