FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Why does DEC stock Cassadaga ck.?  (Read 3472 times)

FISHNIK

Why does DEC stock Cassadaga ck.?
« on: Sep 19, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Does anyone have an idea why the DEC stocks trout in a totally unfisable creek?I ventured to Cassadaga ck.for the 1st time to see if any holdover browns are still around.I've checked the parking lot previously and found out that the parking lot is the only place to fish,just a deep slow moving hole that is only accessable from East side and is only about 20 ft wide.The rest of the creek is as thick as the Amazon with no fishable banks and if you do get to the creek its all quick mud and impossible to work a cast.
          My question is why can't the DEC brushhog one side to make it at least somewhat possible to fish,if not then why waste money and fish by stocking?I did get in at a couple of spots and seen what looked like trout laying on the bottom,but they were behind a brushpile and I couldn't get behind them to cast to.The DEC bought the rights to the area I was at so why aren't they maintaining the areas?And for those that wondered why since I was flyfishing Ididn't rollcast,Idid indeed rollcast but couldn't cover the area of the fish.We pay good money for this recreation ,after all I expect a chance to catch the fish I paid for.Your replies on this subject are much appreciated,thanks

FN

Mac Attack

Re: Why does DEC stock Cassadaga ck.?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2014, 12:59 PM »

Your replies on this subject are much appreciated,thanks

FN

Maybe not, but here goes...............why not ask them direct?
Just a thought.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2014, 01:52 PM »
it looks like you want a fish market not a fishing place,
IT IS CALLED FISHING, NOT CATCHING ,TO ME AND ONLY
ME, GO HUNTING
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2014, 02:04 PM »
You'll NEVER have a "wild fishery" if you don't let it go.....wild???
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishbone

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2014, 02:35 PM »
sounds like a tough place---try it in the 1st week of april---b4 the jungle gets a chance to grow

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Sounds like a great place for the holdover browns to holdover..........
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

OVERTHELIMIT

« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2014, 07:07 PM »
You're not going to catch nice holdover fish and wild fish in holes directly adjacent to parking areas. It requires some hiking and bushwhacking to get to them. My best inland fish have all come well off the beaten path in snag filled runs and holes. But the thrill of seeing a 20+ inch brown inhale a cd5 on a 6' ultralight is well worth it.

FISHNIK

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2014, 11:29 PM »
Thanks for your ideas,Attack,good point and I will,RiverRat,I'm not looking for a fish bowl,just a creek that I can fish,Fishnmachine,true,but when the only way you can get at them is by netting the creek or dynamite,all the fun and sport is taken out,Fishbone,good point but you can't wade the creek to position yourself to cast and Overthelimit,I agree with getting off the beaten path,if only there was a beaten path to stray from.I'll go with Attack's idea first,when the DEC obtains fishing rights on a stream,does that mean your only allowed in the water,or do you have some leeway on the bank?Do I have a right to chop my way down the bank for room to fish?There are no crops on West side,just huge weeds,goldenrod,and sumac.

FN

frogger

« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2014, 07:33 AM »
I love places like that  personally.  The tougher the better.  Thats where I get the best fish - the tough terrain keeps all but  the most hardy out.  Thats just me though.

FishinNY

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2014, 07:25 PM »
I love places like that  personally.  The tougher the better.  Thats where I get the best fish - the tough terrain keeps all but  the most hardy out.  Thats just me though.
Precisely. Same with remote lakes. Most are to lazy to walk, so that's where I will be  ;D
I am Muskies Inc.

FISHNIK

« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2014, 07:33 PM »
I hear what your saying and agree,but how do you fish a creek that has 10 ft of growth on bank and a muddy bottom that is unwadeable?

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2014, 02:17 PM »
You seem to have the answers.  Pull up your waders, give an extra tug on your suspenders, and work your way in! Who ever said that trout fishing was supposed to be easy? If you want success, you've got to work for it, or, fish the parking lot.  I will also say though, that I have generally found that a bottom as soft and muddy as you're insinuating this to be doesn't hold trout.  Trout want some structure, moving water, and oxygen. If the bottom's that soft, the water isn't moving enough. Skip it and find another hole.
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

oatkasut

« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2014, 11:11 PM »
in the past, TU (Buffalo and Rochester) along with DEC assist cleared branches and brush as marked by a DEC biologist to make fishing the Wescoy along a stretch that  had  a right of way that  had been obtained from the landowner by the DEC.Everyone benefitted; we just had to do some work!

eyedoktr

« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2014, 05:23 AM »
I don't know the area but isn't there any place to drop a canoe or kayak in?
Pete Lewis

troutaddict33

« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2014, 08:53 AM »

x2!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.