FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Boat - lots of questions....  (Read 4388 times)

troutaddict33

New Boat - lots of questions....
« on: Oct 08, 2014, 01:19 PM »
I'm looking to buy an inexpensive gps/fishfinder combo and was just looking for some input on what every has and likes/dislikes... under $200 is my goal. I was hoping to get something with a built in gps unit so I won't need any add-ons. I would need it to tracke speed by the 10th of a mile per hour so I would know if I'm going 0.9, 1.0, 1.2, etc. Not looking for anything fancy, just depth, speed, and water temp would be great... oh ya, and if it marks fish that would help too!

Mac Attack

Re: Recommendations on GPS/Fishfinder combos
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2014, 01:55 PM »
For under $200

CL or ebay

You won't get anything worth buying new for under 2 bills.

Also, you typically get what you pay for.
Especially on a DF/GPS unit.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2014, 02:43 PM »
This is about as close to your price as I could find that's new.  Remember, you get what you pay for!!

http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-Elite-4-Fishfinder-Transom-Transducer/dp/B00A9X7YIO/ref=sr_1_59?ie=UTF8&qid=1413481845&sr=8-59&keywords=fish+finder

Ok, I stand corrected, there is a cheaper one:

http://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-4087301-PiranhaMAX-Fishfinder-Trackplotter/dp/B009KA15O6/ref=sr_1_149?ie=UTF8&qid=1413482321&sr=8-149&keywords=fish+finder

I've used both of those and think the Elite has better screen resolution.
Also, neither of them are in my estimation very good GPS units.
I have an old Lowrance M68C that I keep around as a portable spare and also my son uses it ice fishing.
The depthfinder on it is amazing for a small unit (same as the X67C), but the GPS really falls short of usefulness.
Tough to use, and really not very good.
The Elite tried to do better, and it does, but still not worth buying (IMHO).

Like I have said in the past, and was stated by LG - you really do get what you pay for on DF/GPS units.
I'd wait, save a few more bucks, and get something a little better.

Good luck.

troutaddict33

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Ya, I was looking at the Elite 4 but didn't buy it. I have a raymarine that was over $2500, but was looking for a cheapy for my 17' boat which will only be used a couple months a year. Plus if I spend any more than a few hundred my gf will demand some sort of gift   :D   Any experience with the Elite 5?

jopes

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2014, 02:24 PM »
If you can wait till the beginning of the year or so, there should be a lot of used HDS units as Lowrance is supposed to release Gen3 stuff, or so rumor says it.

jeffmac85

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Remember that just because your gps says that you are running .9 or 1.0 or whatever does not truly mean that your baits are running at the same speed.  Sub - surface currents also must be taken into account as well.   That's why you see so many guys running sub troll 's on their downriggers, and they also give you an accurate temp reading at the ball, they are invaluable in locating thermoclines.   I'm not saying that a gps is not important, they are great tools but I think they are best suited as positioning and navigating tools.  I would try to find the best sonar in your budget and maybe just invest in an inexpensive handheld gps, one that uses a bread crumb trail and waypoint features though so you can keep track of successful trolling patterns and drifts and mark your own favorite hot spots.  Then in the near future if you are running downriggers invest in a subtroll.   Speed at temperature at your baits us much more valuable then boat speed and surface water temperatures in my opinion

troutaddict33

« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2014, 12:05 PM »
No downriggers on this boat.... only using it for surface trolling with fly rods early spring and late fall. For now, I'll be sticking to the handheld GPS.

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2014, 01:20 PM »
if thats what your using it for then pretty much any old gps, it doesnt even need mapping. i think my old one was a garmin 76, it had tracking but no map and read tenths mph.  fish finder is useless early spring, the fish swim around the boat and rarely show up under it. you do need something that shows depth if your not familar with the lake, even an old flasher would work or even a good map

troutaddict33

« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2014, 01:42 PM »
if thats what your using it for then pretty much any old gps, it doesnt even need mapping. i think my old one was a garmin 76, it had tracking but no map and read tenths mph.  fish finder is useless early spring, the fish swim around the boat and rarely show up under it. you do need something that shows depth if your not familar with the lake, even an old flasher would work or even a good map

I actually got the boat out on the water for the first time since I bought it this weekend and found out the old fishfinder works. It's nothing special but shows depth so the external GPS will do the job for now. I really love the boat so far.... 1985 17' blue fine. It came with the electric motor, trailer, new sets carpets and upholstry, 2 manual downriggers, and a 70hp johnson that runs well so far. Picked it up $1700... now just need to get some salmon in the boat!

troutaddict33

Re: New Boat - lots of questions....
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2014, 01:57 PM »
changed the name of this thread hoping to throw out a bunch of questions for anyone that could give some input...

So, now that the boat is on the water, I'm trying to slow down my trolling speed (and be cheap while doing so). The electric motor has some issues, my 5hp is out of commission for now, and I don't want so spend money on bags or a trolling plate... SO - I'm going with the 5 gallon bucket method for now. Has anyone had any issues while trolling at slow speeds with a larger (70hp) 2 stroke outboard? I've heard issues with people fouling out plugs from running larger motors and low speeds. Not sure if it's a common problem I should worry about?

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2014, 02:15 PM »
Has anyone had any issues while trolling at slow speeds with a larger (70hp) 2 stroke outboard? I've heard issues with people fouling out plugs from running larger motors and low speeds. Not sure if it's a common problem I should worry about?

Yup!
I had the same boat basically back in the early 80's with a 60hp Evinrude.
Fouled plugs all the time trying to troll with a trolling plate.
Of course back then the 2-stroke oil wasn't as good as today's stuff.
I still wouldn't do it.
Besides fouling the plugs you load up the rings with carbon.
Not good!
Kicker!!!!
Even an old small hp 2-stroke.
Anything but the big motor.

Added - actually, my boat was 16'.
Still, what I posted above applies.
Good luck.
Mac

fishlessman

« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2014, 02:19 PM »
changed the name of this thread hoping to throw out a bunch of questions for anyone that could give some input...

So, now that the boat is on the water, I'm trying to slow down my trolling speed (and be cheap while doing so). The electric motor has some issues, my 5hp is out of commission for now, and I don't want so spend money on bags or a trolling plate... SO - I'm going with the 5 gallon bucket method for now. Has anyone had any issues while trolling at slow speeds with a larger (70hp) 2 stroke outboard? I've heard issues with people fouling out plugs from running larger motors and low speeds. Not sure if it's a common problem I should worry about?

ran my 1991 merc with buckets up until 4 years ago when i added a kicker. the mercs a 115 hp, probably has 10,000 hours slow trolling. the big difference was a gallon an hour verse 2 gallons in 16 hours with the kicker, it adds up fast dollar wise

jeffmac85

« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2014, 07:08 PM »
Also not sure if you've ever tried to steer a boat at slow trolling speeds while dragging buckets.  It's an absolute pain in the ass.   I know it can be done and guys have done it forever but it's not very efficient on gas and you have to have someone manning the wheel at all times because the drag from the bucket tends to pull you from side to side.   

troutaddict33

« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Also not sure if you've ever tried to steer a boat at slow trolling speeds while dragging buckets.  It's an absolute pain in the ***.   I know it can be done and guys have done it forever but it's not very efficient on gas and you have to have someone manning the wheel at all times because the drag from the bucket tends to pull you from side to side.   

I do it with bags on a daily basis in the summer, but on a much bigger boat with a 9.9 horse 4 stroke.  I'm gonna give the buckets a shot this weekend until I can get a trolling motor mount on and steal my old man's trolling motor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.