FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat Trailer challenge on I-65  (Read 2278 times)

crappiehunter

Boat Trailer challenge on I-65
« on: Oct 10, 2014, 06:14 AM »
I was driving home from KY last Tuesday and looked in my mirror and noticed that my vertical loading rods looked weird. One of them was bent and not straight up. Before I knew it it was totally dropped over and the top was dragging on the road. My tail lights are attached to these so not good! Another problem was that I was in a one lane construction zone with concrete barrier on my left and cones on my right. Couldn't get off just had to try not to have it hit a cone as it drug along. Got to an exit and was able to get over. Then what to do? The metal in the curve had failed, wasn't totally broken off but almost. I was able to jimmy rig it with some anchor robe and tied it back up vertical. The wire to the lights were frayed but not broken. It made it home and here is my fix.....

Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

stinkybaits

Re: Boat Trailer challenge on I-65
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2014, 08:15 AM »
Ouch.  Hopefully the rest of your trailer is in better shape. You May want to check your springs and axle. I picked up an American made  axle that came with a set of springs and hubs for 169 at I69 Trailer Sales. Phenomenal place best built trailers in the Industry hands down. Pretty easy to replace yourself as long as the rest of your frame is in good shape. Sand it down then a nice coat of rustoleum paint. Be like brand new!

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Good job.
(Wasn't quite sure where the bolt holes were to be located and drilled eh?)
 :laugh:

crappiehunter

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Thanks guys.the hole that's obvious there is where the lights were attached in the past. I moved them up about a foot to try to keep them out of the water.

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Was speaking about the extra holes in the new stock.
Was only bustin on ya a bit.
In the end, the only thing that matters is function, and what you did will work well.
Again, good job.

crappiehunter

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Yeah no problem, I'm sure it could have been done prettier! lol I had to go with the stock that Ace had. It seems very sturdy and is galvanized. I may do the same to the other side before I have problems. Always something$

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Looks like a good short term temporary fix to get through the end of the year.

I hope you plan to get a new trailer for the safety of yourself and all others on the road behind you as you pull the boat.

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2014, 04:02 PM »
I may do the same to the other side before I have problems.

probably not a bad idea

cabrolet

« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2014, 06:51 PM »
I had the same thing happen on my LoadRite trailer.  I had the same supports that were galvanized.  They rotted out form the inside and fell off while on the hwy.  I tried various other upright supports but they all failed from vibration.  I finally bought LED submersible lights and mounted them to the frame.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Mike,
Glad all worked out without anyone getting hurt.
Good job on the fix. Makes me think maybe I should go ahead and look for a new one myself?
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.