FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: white perch or silver bass  (Read 8407 times)

Eastsider

Re: white perch or silver bass
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2014, 05:51 PM »
I've done the same thing and couldn't tell the difference between the whites and the yellows

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Ok I'm the one that started this thread so what I did was I came home cleaned the fish and put 2 plain yellow perch fillets and 2 what we will call silver bass In a little olive oil and fried then with just salt and pepper did a taste test I found both to be white flakey meat. I guess I'll start saving and eating silver bass/white perch.

I don’t know Ive ever eaten an actual silver bass. They are related to striped bass which are excellent eating. I’m not a big white perch fan, seem strong to me. Up here in Maine, people LOVE white perch and leave the yellows on the ice as junk and  to feed the eagles and crows. A lot of our yellows up here carry a juvenile parasite, “white grub” and are kinda small. Not particularly appetizing. Which is why I started going after crappie...No walleyes here either. There are some NICE and clean yellows here too in some waters.
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

Eastsider

« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2014, 07:54 PM »
I've heard that about the parasites, the way it was explained to me is its not that they don't like the yellows it's just they are so overrun with parasites they are not something you'd want to eat. The meat is crawling with "grubs" from
What I'm told.

filetandrelease

« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:43 AM »
There are those white grubs and the black grubs to in yellows in some of our lakes to ,that I fish for (flats) panfish and in Oneida lake kill all the whites you want lake is getting over run with those things

Prchmike

« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Silver or White Bass as they call them most places are better eating than White perch. I have caught White Bass in several states but only caught White perch in NY. The trick to eating White Bass is to get the red meat off the fillets and don"t bread or batter them. Like the guy mentioned before just a little seasoning and oil is all you need. Breading tends to make them mushy. White perch are a little stronger tasting than White Bass. IMO
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

devo

« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2014, 10:33 AM »
We catch both the White Bass and White Perch in Irondequoit bay.
.... there's no silver Bass in NY.

Prchmike

« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2014, 11:14 AM »
We catch both the White Bass and White Perch in Irondequoit bay.
.... there's no silver Bass in NY.
People here call White Bass Silvers but you're right.
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Eat white bass  :sick:

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bee

« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2014, 05:50 PM »
You might even see him smile!  ;D
He IS a good man! :thumbup_smilie:
bee is alright to, except he often catches more fish than anyone else.  I’m working on that  ;) :w00t: It makes him smile.  ;D

Joe a couple from yesterday. 70 in all.

Hookum & Cookum Otherwise Releaseum

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2014, 08:04 PM »

I believe I may recognize that shoreline.

Nice catch bee! Hope to meet Sam someday.

I hope to  get out in the next couple days. Wish there were some consistent slabs like that closer to here...Maybe on the weekend - Hermon probably. Tides hardly leave the shore. Good chance to give the LX7 a shakedown. Just got the Showdown back too. It was acting all kinds of erratic last year. They said it was a wiring issue with the ‘ducer and they reprogrammed it. Probably my abuse.on the ‘ducer... :-\

What was that about silver bass? Maybe you can put a couple pics up of those 3# whities you guys get, bee :o I hope you will me your log book in 20years or so, or ..... I’ll take good care of it. MG and Sam won’t need it. I’ll always carry your fond memory with me. I’m AM a nice boy ;D :angel:
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2014, 08:49 AM »
Those are some nice strawberry bass , calico bass ,  clam farmer , but they are really are of the sunfish family so RG why do they call them bass ? And that white on the first page was 17.5 " but didn't weigh it , but is my PB from Oneida

jperch

« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:07 AM »
F&R, I am not a biologist but I believe that sunfish/bluegill and bass are in the same fish family.  If you think about it, they have similar spawning habits.  I wish they tasted the same.  As a child, 50 years ago, I remember my grandfather saying that "Those da#$ strawberries are going to ruin the perch fishing on Black Lake".  Back then you could fill a basket with nice perch any time you wanted by rowing into the weeds, finding a hole, and just pull them up.   jperch

filetandrelease

« Reply #27 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:24 AM »
Thanks ,Well I guess he knew what he was talking about ,

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #28 on: Oct 16, 2014, 04:22 PM »
Those are some nice strawberry bass , calico bass ,  clam farmer , but they are really are of the sunfish family so RG why do they call them bass ? And that white on the first page was 17.5 " but didn't weigh it , but is my PB from Oneida
They call em “crappie” here, flatlander, I mean F&R. I call em calicos to the restaurants I sell a few to. ;D

Are YOU saying they are ALL weed trout?

I am going to import to Maine the term “slime dart”. Seems apt. What would  the larger pike version be? Slime torpedo? Slime missile? Slym-gator?

Seems like the fish Gramps called Silver Bass were 15+ maybe 17ish :-\. We only caught a few I remember. And, Like I said, they were around Frencman/Duhnam....40+ years ago. You’re probably too young to go back that far.  :unsure:

Anyway, time to go to the seafood shack, F&R, ! Caught 9 today! 7 yesterday! I’ll be bringing some lobster rolls this winter!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #29 on: Oct 16, 2014, 06:47 PM »

Bee, I have always enjoyed your crappie pictures..   Those are some great fish..... :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.