FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jig Raps Preferences  (Read 4342 times)

CLAMFARMER

Jig Raps Preferences
« on: Oct 13, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Hey Guys, I’m gonna pick up some hardware for my trip down there this winter. I’m hoping you could help direct me to some of the more effective colors and sizes. Is there any preference for the jig shad raps or other configurations? Thank You!  Joe
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

CLAMFARMER

Re: Jig Raps Preferences
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2014, 11:11 AM »
I just bought a blend of glow, perch glow, florescent chartreuse silver, and fire tiger glow. 1.5” I’ve already for some others in that size and 2”. I tried them alongside tungsten with twister tail combos. They out fished the raps 10 to one for lake trout as well as crappie. wp, yp and bass.I wonder how the side by sid swill be with the ‘eyes.
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:33 PM »
TO ME AND ONLY me try ALL OF THEN,REMEMBER all people fish different
to me if no hits in 15 to 20 min change lure[what works for you]
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

reeleyz

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:58 PM »
#5 perch or glow rap is what I use most of the time. That is the 1 lure I wouldn't leave home without...

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:34 AM »
#5 perch or glow rap is what I use most of the time. That is the 1 lure I wouldn't leave home without...

That big stuff seems a little heavy for 4# test. I will pick up a couple more each and have a couple rods rigged w/6#. I hate using cable.

You guys try tungsten and plastics much? I saw there are some heavier tungsten jigs with larger (proportionally) hooks. I’m gonna pick up a few of those too.

Chowdaire

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I use 4# (flouro and braid) with #5 raps all the time. Never had an issue.

And I've said this on Ice Shanty but on Oneida I would be comfortable going out with nothing but #5 raps. The eyes & perch can't get enough of them. Some days other stuff will out-fish them but on average they're hard to beat.

Chowdaire

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2014, 09:52 AM »
And re: the tungsten and plastics. My first 3 days on Oneida I ran plastics next to my raps. 0 eyes on the plastics, although I was fishing blind at the time so couldn't see if they were coming in or not.

Since then I've done ok with the perch on plastics but usually later in the season. Early on the raps win out on perch too. At least for me.

reeleyz

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:33 PM »
I use plastics for perch. I never touched a spike or mousie last winter. I have caught a few eyes on plastics here and there but they were accidental.

I agree with chowdaire about the early ice perch loving the raps.

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2014, 11:19 AM »
I to am a big fan of raps in sizes 1-5 for perch and eyes on Oneida , I also carry a box of jigging shad raps  in 2 sizes , when they want a bigger profile

Racer268

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2014, 05:13 PM »
Shad Rap in fire tiger glow.  Not sure the # size but it's about 1 1/4 inch long or so.  I lost one last year and stopped on the way home to get another.  With out a doubt my go to jig.

I use 6lb fireline braid and 8lb flouro leader.  Probably could lighten up a bit.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2014, 05:17 AM »
Shad Rap in fire tiger glow.  Not sure the # size but it's about 1 1/4 inch long or so.  I lost one last year and stopped on the way home to get another.  With out a doubt my go to jig.

I use 6lb fireline braid and 8lb flouro leader.  Probably could lighten up a bit.

I think i’ve got all the lures I.m going to at this point.  The only thing I’ve yet to spend money on is mousies. (Jut to put meat on the hook that stays on pretty well. Always boosts the strike count, even on lake trout.)  Ordered a bunch of raps. I have been using seaguar invisex and tatsu 4 and 6#. This year I will be putting braid on a couple of my favorite rods to get the feel of it. A lot better response on strikes ,especially at greater depths where line curl and stretch cause misses and poor hook-set, or so I’m told and I think makes GREAT sense. Should mean less dumps. I can see that saving mean quite a bit on line respooling too.

devo

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2014, 10:24 AM »
*Braided line is OK if you're inside a shelter, but, braid absorbs water and freezes to the spool when outside. Its a real pain when you can't get back down quickly to the active fish!   Just my $.02 , go floro.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2014, 11:30 AM »
*Braided line is OK if you're inside a shelter, but, braid absorbs water and freezes to the spool when outside. Its a real pain when you can't get back down quickly to the active fish!   Just my $.02 , go floro.

That’s my thinking. I’ve heard the stuff freezes up. I have more jig rods than most. I have ten rigged to go, usually carry 6 on the ice with go to lures attached. Some fish, particularly whitefish, are likely more easy to hook the less stretch and curl you have to deal with. I also use in-line ice reels, which help tremendously!!!

gotabig1

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Real Magic is said to prevent icing in the braid.

Chowdaire

« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Line Butter seems to help a bit and helps on the fluoro twisting and coiling too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.