FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Esopus "steelhead" setup?  (Read 2171 times)

Gino@Rondout

Esopus "steelhead" setup?
« on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Hey guys! Doesn't look like I'll be heading upstate to the land of the steelhead for a few more years until I get my drivers license, so I though I'd give a try this fall and next spring in the Esopus Creek for some reservoir run browns and rainbows. What would you guys suggest as a good setup for getting some of these larger fish? I was thinking egg sacs, but what is a good way to rig them?

St.Croix.Boy

• Just one more cast...
Re: Esopus "steelhead" setup?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2014, 10:09 PM »
if you want to immitate the big thing on major steelhead rivers and streams, then try drifting them under a float. I usually tie mine about the size of a nickel.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2014, 08:52 AM »
Hey guys! Doesn't look like I'll be heading upstate to the land of the steelhead for a few more years until I get my drivers license, so I though I'd give a try this fall and next spring in the Esopus Creek for some reservoir run browns and rainbows. What would you guys suggest as a good setup for getting some of these larger fish? I was thinking egg sacs, but what is a good way to rig them?
esopus creek,for me most times i use spinners and flys[in the creek] from shore in res.just below 1st dam i float egg sacks
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

dps37x

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2014, 07:48 AM »
So I just started fishing the esopus and east branch of delaware this year,was just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of what area of the esopus might be a good starting point and if the trout have started running up yet. Not looking for anyones spot,and I fish catch and release. Would just like to try it out this fall. P.m would be fine,any help.would be appreciated

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2014, 01:26 PM »
to me the esopus is ONE OF the BEST CREEKS IN N.Y. AND IT HAS FISH
most good spots change each year[the water changes it -current-] so the
 best is to fish it,but i will P.M. YOU
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2014, 07:35 AM »

PM sent

dps37x

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Fished yesterday water was very murky by end of the day. Only managed a small brookie and brown that went back. Anybody think the bigger rainbows are hanging down toward the ashokan more? Fished a ways up and only fish I saw caught the entire day were smaller browns and there was very few.any advice appreciated,maby it was just due to the murky water

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2014, 09:14 PM »
Fished for an hour at the portal with my dad today. He was throwing spinners without luck and I was drifting nightcrawlers and single eggs without luck. Not even a bite.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.