FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Want to set up an underwater cam in this pond  (Read 5411 times)

taxid

Want to set up an underwater cam in this pond
« on: Oct 15, 2014, 10:14 PM »
It's my trout pond and is right behind the house. I'd like mount the camera to the pier and run it back to the house and up to my computer which is level with the window you see in the picture.  I can protect the cable with PVC tubing for when the ice freezes up etc.

I have about 50 to 100 3 to 5 pound brook trout in the pond and think it would be cool to watch them cruise around on my computer monitor.

Anybody an expert in this area? I can purchase the equipment but need advise.

Or can I purchase one of the underwater cameras for fishing that can be adapted to a longer cable and then plugged into a computer monitor?

If need be I do have a unused TV available for a cable hook up.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

Re: Want to set up an underwater cam in this pond
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2014, 11:07 PM »
What is the distants the cable will need to be? A friend of mine had one with more than 100ft made up by Aqua-Vu. It was great in the salt for watching cod! I think that they may now sell extensions... There are many ways you could set it up, it just comes down to how much you are willing to spend... 

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2014, 12:09 AM »
What is the distants the cable will need to be? A friend of mine had one with more than 100ft made up by Aqua-Vu. It was great in the salt for watching cod! I think that they may now sell extensions... There are many ways you could set it up, it just comes down to how much you are willing to spend...  

Thanks I was considering that option. Will have to measure but I'm thinking total from the camera to the TV or computer monitor should be under 100 feet but could be wrong.

I did do some research and found that the koi pond people, who like to watch their koi from the comfort of their home purchase one of these and go from there.

http://www.ctistore.com/catalog/cat/prod,81902.html?origin=google_adwords&gclid=CO6p4LGxsMECFQgDaQodOL4A9g
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2014, 05:06 AM »
That looks like it would do it!

fishm_n

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:55 PM »
looks like a fun project. How did it go?? pond and house look familiar....

IFF

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2015, 11:48 PM »
Id rather watch a walleye sizzle in a deep fryer  :P but that would be cool, to see what trips their trigger
*¿*  Bud

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2015, 11:05 AM »
So how about a report back on your setup and how things went.
Maybe even a few pictures or a video posted too.

jeffro9023

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2015, 08:21 PM »

This  ;D
Where can I catch a crappie? Thanks in advance

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2015, 08:56 PM »

I ended up harvesting the trout as I was losing a couple a week and wasn't sure how many would be left if I held them another year. So the camera will have to wait. From my experience brooks have a shorter lifespan than the browns I raise and they seem to stress out during spawning time.

I rotate between brooks and browns so I'm going to plant 6 to 8 inch browns this time sometime next month. The browns grow a little faster and get bigger than the browns and stress the brooks hence why I don't raise them together.

I did end up with 6 brooks over 6 lbs. With the  largest 6 lbs 10 oz. and the longest just under 24 inches. Most were between 4 and 5 lbs. with some in the five pound range and some under 4 lbs. Not bad for 3 year old fish. They have all now been sold whole frozen to other taxidermists from Washington state to Massachusetts and as far north as Montana and as far south as Florida.

Some pictures from this year's harvest (all hook an line).

gotabig1

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2015, 03:46 AM »
Very Nice !!   

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:59 AM »
Cool - do you eat them?
Or do they go into the garden.
Curious about ones that large from a pond.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2015, 09:02 PM »
Cool - do you eat them?
Or do they go into the garden.
Curious about ones that large from a pond.

They have all now been sold whole frozen to other taxidermists from Washington state to Massachusetts and as far north as Montana and as far south as Florida.

;D

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Id rather watch a walleye sizzle in a deep fryer  :P but that would be cool, to see what trips their trigger

I'd like to have an extra pond where I can hatch walleyes, feed train them on pellets and see how big I can get them. Not an option right now. I know I could do it but just don't have that option right now.

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2015, 05:11 AM »
looks like the ice is off by you. let me know about those that we were talking about .

Don
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2015, 05:48 AM »
looks like the ice is off by you. let me know about those that we were talking about .

Don

That's an old pic from a few years ago. Ice if off of two ponds but still on two others. I'm feeding the perch hydrated pellets right now and will start harvesting in 2 to 3 weeks when egg development is at it's peak (hence max weight). It can mean the difference between over 2 lbs. and just under 2 lbs. for 14 inch range perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.