FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Warm Winter Coming.....  (Read 5763 times)

CLAMFARMER

Warm Winter Coming.....
« on: Oct 19, 2014, 04:35 AM »
"Meteorologists say it may well be setting the state up for a winter with above normal temperatures and normal to near normal precipitation.....“This will not diminish the snow potential in Maine,” Nouhan said. “We just won’t get much in the way of deep, cold air masses like last year.”

As far as that snow potential looks, Nouhan said northern Maine could expect to be near the annual winter average of 150-inches of snow with the Bangor area getting a bit more than its typical 75-inches.

“We are looking at prior years with similar characteristics,” Nouhan said. “This particular winter looks like we are in for a low-end El Nino, and a lot of our forecast perimeters are based on what part of the El Nino cycle we are in, [and] based on that, this winter forecast makes a lot of sense.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/10/18/news/state/bundle-up-jet-stream-shaping-maines-winter-to-be-near-normal-to-the-north-colder-to-the-south/
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

CLAMFARMER

Re: Warm Winter Coming.....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2014, 04:38 AM »
Meanwhile, Back at The Old Farmer Almanac....

"Basing its own forecast on centuries-old climate models and formulas, the Old Farmer’s Almanac is calling for a colder than normal winter but near or below normal snowfalls for the region.

“We are predicting for the northeast things to be colder than normal this winter, similar to last year,” Sarah Perreault, senior associate editor at the New Hampshire-based publication, said. “But we are seeing below normal snowfall. There is still going to be snow, but not like last year.”

Citing an 80-percent accuracy rate, Perreault said the Old Farmer’s Almanac still uses the same weather forecasting process used when it was first published in 1792."
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2014, 04:38 AM »
Place your bets!

deerhunter

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2014, 06:36 AM »
we don't really know. it is what it is. I could do with less snowfall.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Having snow showers here right now....      ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

44 Degrees North

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2014, 12:13 PM »
That naughty talk belongs in the Ice Shanty ;D

44 Degrees North

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2014, 12:16 PM »

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2014, 10:41 PM »
please no more polar vortexes

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2014, 06:24 AM »

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2014, 04:18 PM »

Where was that taken and when?

I think that was Northern Maine a couple days ago. Melted right off! Almost seventy the next day.  ;D

44 Degrees North

« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Where and when, no idea, something floating around the web. Notice the roofs have a very shallow pitch. Seems to me if they got that snowfall regularly they would have a 12-12 pitch on those buildings.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Latest:
Accuweather, "Cold air will surge into the Northeast in late November, but the brunt of the season will hold off until January and February. The polar vortex, the culprit responsible for several days of below-zero temperatures last year, will slip down into the region from time to time, delivering blasts of arctic air.....“I think, primarily, we’ll see that happening in mid-January into February but again, it’s not going to be the same type of situation as we saw last year, not as persistent,” AccuWeather.com Expert Long-Range Forecaster Paul Pastelok said.” http://www.salon.com/2014/10/15/bad_news_america_the_polar_vortex_is_coming_back/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
That naughty talk belongs in the Ice Shanty ;D
I'll head over there as soon as my frog pond locks up.  You can log this in “Naughty” under “Foreplay" ;D

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2014, 10:13 AM »

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2014, 03:53 PM »
I think I’ll have a pretty strong reading by mid-Feb. Should be fun! ;D :w00t: :thumbup_smilie:

Accuweather:" Cold Northeast, Interior Mid-Atlantic to Yield Snowy Winter Season
After record-shattering temperatures and high snow totals last winter in the Northeast, a similar theme will continue into the 2014-2015 season.
Cold air will surge into the Northeast in late November, but the brunt of the season will hold off until January and February. The polar vortex, the culprit responsible for several days of below-zero temperatures last year, will slip down into the region from time to time, delivering blasts of arctic air."I think, primarily, we'll see that happening in mid-January into February but again, it's not going to be the same type of situation as we saw last year, not as persistent," AccuWeather.com Expert Long-Range Forecaster Paul Pastelok said.”

44 Degrees North

« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2014, 01:38 AM »
Give up clamming, you have a future in meteorology. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.