FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: From Yesterday/Pic  (Read 2927 times)

bee

From Yesterday/Pic
« on: Oct 29, 2014, 10:42 AM »
I cleaned a White Perch yesterday that appears to be both sexes. Anyone have any info on what this is?

Hookum & Cookum Otherwise Releaseum

Steel Nuttz

Re: From Yesterday/Pic
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2014, 11:20 AM »
I would have to say what it is...is a hermaphrodite.
Thanks...Hey, I guess they're right - senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose.  I'll be right back.  Don't you go dying on me!

bee

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2014, 12:19 PM »
I sent photos to a Bio but no words back.

saltyshores

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Here's a quote from Wikipedia about a simultaneous hermaphrodite:

" A simultaneous (or synchronous) hermaphrodite is an adult organism that has both male and female sexual organs at the same time. Usually, self-fertilization does not occur."

I never encountered it in fish during a 38-yr career, but have seen it in a lobster once.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2014, 08:01 AM »
And that says a TON as to how uncommon it is.  Always enjoy your insight, Rick.

I never encountered it in fish during a 38-yr career, but have seen it in a lobster once.

bee

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Heard from a Bio today. He said FAT. I do not know. Why are the eggs in the upper cavity?

ChristianC

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2014, 11:31 AM »
Simultaneous hermaphroditism happens in a few marine fish (no freshwater fish that I'm aware of, aside from possible "freaks") I was working with the Caribbean chalk bass for a while, they are pelagic spawning simultaneous hermaphrodites that can change their sex every 2 minutes or so as needed.

Sounds like a party to me? lol.

gnlabonte

• Tight Lines
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2014, 02:33 PM »
I've seen it happen in bass that live in areas of high pollutants, specifically Endocrine disrupters, which mostly come from various types of plastic. Which is why you shouldn't leave your plastic bags or bottles or wrappers near the water.
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

dags

• Myfishfinder Sponsor
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:07 PM »
That reminds me. I remember reading a paper from a study out west a while ago when the cytrid fungus was just showing up in north america and killing off frog populations. Anyways they did a bunch of research on Xenopus laevis, the African Clawed frog, and found out that the sp. would turn hermaphroditic in the adult stage quickly after exposures to certain birth control medicines in quantities exponentially below federal standards for drinking water. I wonder if any sewage is finding its way into our water supplies?

-Dylan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.