FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye Stocking  (Read 3459 times)

Valparaiso_Girl

Walleye Stocking
« on: Nov 08, 2014, 09:00 PM »
The other day I witnessed 801 fish being stocked in the Valpo chain; 800 walleye fingerlings + 1 bluegill.  The generosity of the folk's who helped to make this happen does my heart good.  I've had my eye on the Friends of Fishing (FOF) group for several years, and  I admire all the awesome things they are about.  Fortunately I was able to return to my home town to live and I'm blessed to get to be a part of FOF.  

Here's a copy of the press release:

A local group of anglers known as the Friends of Fishing stocked walleye in Flint and Loomis Lakes.  Over 800 walleye fingerlings, and incidentally one cute little bluegill, took a trip from there Iowa hatchery home to right here in northwest Indiana; specifically the Valpo chain.  The weather for this event was brutal with high winds and rain, nonetheless, on November 6, 2014 Friends of Fishing members released bucketfuls (approx. 400 into each lake) of these beloved fish.

It’s important to the Friends of Fishing to leave a positive footprint for future generations.  Stocking walleye in our lakes means anglers may have a decent shot of catching walleye in the future; the possibility is exciting. The goal of this stocking is to increase or maintain healthy walleye populations.  

For more information regarding the Friends of Fishing and upcoming events, please contact Jim 219-263-3358 or Felix 219-313-5290 or visit our website: friendsoffishing.org . Meetings are held the first Thursday of every month, 6PM at AJ’s Pizza. Everyone is welcome to attend.  

And some pics from that day: http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/Valparaisogirl/slideshow/Walleye%20Stocking

High Flags

Re: Walleye Stocking
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Great Work everyone!!  I wish I could have made it out to participate in the stocking

Felix

• Myfishfinder Sponsor
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Thanks for the post K!!!
Great thing are happing with the group!!! Always looking for help and new members!!!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

crappiehunter

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Great job everyone!! 
Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

abishop

« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Thanks guys for all your hard work.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2014, 11:21 AM »
What do you think the survival rate of those fingerlings is in the first year?
Anybody know?

sprkplug

« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Studies have shown that if the fingerlings can survive their first 24 hours, their odds of survival greatly increase. The new arrivals are disorientated and confused, and many times do not fare well against an already established predator base.  5-6" Walleyes make a pretty good meal for a hungry 15-18" largemouth.

Those same studies referenced earlier also indicate that if a small cove, or bay just off the main body of water can be isolated with nets or some other means, and used as a predator-free sanctuary for those 24 hours, the odds for survival increase yet again.

abishop

« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2014, 01:54 PM »
Was reading a article about the stocking program at Maxi. They said they split it up In spring they release 5-6 in walleye and the fall stocking is 7-8 inch fingerlings. They have a better chance to survive doing it this way. I know that there are some toads in Loomis by now. A few years ago when there was a big kill I remember seeing many 5# bass on shore. Don't think I saw any walleye. Maybe cause they stayed in the deeper water?????

chicagill34

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Awesome on the stocking!!  Im gonna have to hunt that Bluegill down!!..lol

Jig_Head

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2014, 03:36 AM »
Great job guys, thank you!! Cool pictures too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.