FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Whitefish on the Piers?  (Read 8577 times)

MC_angler

Re: Whitefish on the Piers?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:57 AM »
I am thinking that the best action from now until late January is going to be on the pier. Until the lake temperature is colder than Trail Creek, anyways.

I overlook the inner harbor every day at work and I see very few fish caught between November and January, other than the odd steelhead

crappiehunter

« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:46 AM »
Thanks Ben I know I gotta get my wimpy butt out there and not sit in the warmth of the van!!
Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

crappiehunter

« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2014, 12:50 PM »
Got the idea of using my kayak rod holder 3way on a bucket, still got skunked though. Windy today...

High Flags

« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Good idea Mike....Dakota and I fished the pier today  from before sun up till about 9....very windy like you said ,the water was still stained some... not a bite.

fished skain , bemoths , night crawlers, shrimp...???   SKUNKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

vexologist

« Reply #34 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Just an update...Went out friday, water pretty dirty off pier from run-off and churn-up NW winds previous in week so I did not get anything but did talk to a guy that was out with his buddy and whities are somewhere around as 2 wks prior he got 7 whities and 2 greasers off the pier. So hopefully when we get more consistent winds and it clears up a bit the whities will show-up again!! At least there a some winter runs showin up as I salvaged the day going 2 for 3 on Trail...Bobber down dudes!

crappiehunter

« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Awesome Vex thanks for the report

Boomer

« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:33 AM »
I see on the Michigan DNR reports that fishing at night for whitefish is sometimes better. Anyone ever try this in Indiana waters? (Sure would have to dress very warm to be on the pier at night this time of year!)

Jig_Head

« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:07 AM »
For as often as I fish the pier I've never tried for whitefish. I say I'm gonna do it every year then never do it lol. If anyone wants to meet up let me no. I need something to do as the ice is not cooperating

MC_angler

« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:01 AM »
now might be a good time to try because the creek/harbor temp is higher than the lake temp, which is drawing in fish

vexologist

« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:10 PM »
Thanks for heads up MC!

Boomer

« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:50 AM »
Curiosity: IF you were to go out to the end of the pier at MC and casted a line to the bottom what would be the chance to get a lake trout? (In other words, do people catch lake trout from the pier - probably more so in winter?

I have never caught a lake trout or a whitefish and would at least like to take a chance at it in 2015. (Going south for the holidays but will be back soon.)

MC_angler

« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Lake trout are definitely around. They aren't caught in big numbers, but people catch them every year. Even in the lower reaches of Trail Creek from November-March

People routinely catch them at the mouth of the Ditch at Portage Lakefront Park

crappiehunter

« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Gave it a try again today with no luck. Did talk to one guy who caught a nice steelie across from the Dnr.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.