FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Chain O Lakes Pics of mystery stuff around the Crappies  (Read 1422 times)

chicagill34

Fished the Chain again today till the rain started...only caught 2 today,missed some hits..did the same thing as last time and it was hard to stay on top of the fish again..especially when they was out in almost 50 ft of water suspended..took the time out to take a couple of pics to show what it looks like..

stinkybaits

Re: Chain O Lakes Pics of mystery stuff around the Crappies
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:57 PM »
Looks like the lake water did it's flip. Some fish very deep and normally there isn't enough oxygen to support life that deep unless the lake flipped imo. Dark line is usually the thermocline at the top since everything is reversed now it's torwards the bottom? Minnows probably feasting on whatever is in the thermocline layer and the crappies are feasting on both. Usually fishing is pretty tough when this is happening so two is good! Better than the big 0! That's my guess Jim at least you found the fish that's part of the battle.

chicagill34

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:10 PM »
That makes some sense.Thanks for the input.It would of been alot nicer with no wind for boat control,but this is kind of a learning experience for me to jig and watch the graph and use the trolling motor at the same time... 

stinkybaits

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Keep practicing pretty soon it's no big deal. Windy days perfect more challenging so when it's breezy then no big deal. Glass like conditions tough on vertical jigging clear water.

crappiehunter

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2014, 07:39 AM »
Cool stuff thanks for sharing
Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

Get_the_Net

« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2014, 02:43 PM »
I would also say that dark line you are seeing is a some sort of thermocline.  Not the same type as forms in deep lakes in the summer, but where there is a quick drop or increase if lake has turned over in temps in a short depth change that causes the ducer beam to bounce back.  It may be where the most oxygen rich water is and might be loaded with bait.  I would suggest taking off the fish id on your finder and learn to read the arches.  That fish ID is notorious for converting sounder feedback from leaves, weeds, debri, etc into fish symbols.  If there is that much food down there that they are full, it might be why you can't get them to bite well.

chicagill34

« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I will have to try that...Thanks for the feedback!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.