FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Loons!  (Read 2190 times)

crappiehunter

Loons!
« on: Nov 14, 2014, 04:26 PM »
I saw a couple pair of Loons on Stone today when I went for a walk along the lake. Couldn't get a decent pic though. Love seeing them in our area. Probably eating my crappie!! It''s making ice!!

Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

High Flags

Re: Loons!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2014, 05:10 PM »
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/common_loon/sounds        Thats cool Mike,     Love their sounds...check it out

wallin

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2014, 05:29 PM »
There was one on Bass Lake this year too.
Never used to see them this far south.
Wallin

stinkybaits

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Scare the heck out of me on Hurshtown they will pop up out of the water and let out a bellow right behind your back. They are pretty neat to see.

abishop

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2014, 06:27 PM »
I remember about 8-10 years on Lake Bruce there must of been at least 50 of them. Had to of been on a return migration. Surprised the heck out of me. Listening to their shatter was really cool. One to remember. Any other time I have seen them it has only been a pair at best. Very pretty bird. They know how to fish.

icecleate

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2014, 07:17 PM »
There was a pair on Lake of the Woods this year.  I saw one there Thursday morning.

crappiehunter

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Great "ap" Matk, thanks live the sound!!
Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2014, 08:13 AM »
When I fish the UP in Fall there will be a group hanging out. They flock up in the fall for the migration south. They change color in fall, all grey and white. I was told by some locals that sometimes the lakes will ice over at night and the young ones won't leave in time and will die because they need to run so far to become airbourne and with the ice they aren't able to run??
Don't know if this is a fact but locals say it has happened. Who am I to disagree?
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

princecraft

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:35 PM »
When I fish the UP in Fall there will be a group hanging out. They flock up in the fall for the migration south. They change color in fall, all grey and white. I was told by some locals that sometimes the lakes will ice over at night and the young ones won't leave in time and will die because they need to run so far to become airbourne and with the ice they aren't able to run??
Don't know if this is a fact but locals say it has happened. Who am I to disagree?
Teach

I have heard the same thing with swans.  But who cares, they need to thin down the population anyway.

bldfrt

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2014, 01:53 PM »
I know it might seem obvious but I've seen a handful of them on loon lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.