FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: EATING FISH WHILE PREGNANT?????????  (Read 3446 times)

Captain1978

EATING FISH WHILE PREGNANT?????????
« on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:55 PM »
I know the best advise is to ask the DR, but...... My wife is pregnant and she likes to eat fish we catch. Mainly Walleye and Perch....Mainly Walleye...lol... So my question is is it safe?  Because of the Mercury. I have been researching the topic and I know the list of fish not to eat. And the list of fish in which are ok in moderation... I am getting mixed answers about Walleye. Being how they are predatory fish and eating other fish raises the merc level and so on. And bigger/older fish have higher levels.... Ok. I'll stop babbling you get the picture.... So  opinions please. Have at it !!!
El Capitano

stripernut

Re: EATING FISH WHILE PREGNANT?????????
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:37 PM »
Why take a chance, coal fire plants have been putting mercury in even the most remote bodies of water... But then again, there is that kind of toxins all over the place... If it was my wife I would serve half of what they advice... Congrat, on a new fishing buddy coming!

bcons

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:50 PM »
It's not just the particular diet of the fish, it has as much if not more to do with Fat Content of the fish.  Hence why there tends to be more warnings for "fatty" fish like tuna or salmon.
It's not just their size.  The toxins concentrate in the belly fat at higher concentrations than in the fillets.

Another thing to consider if she's going to eat some is how did you process the fish.
Often guys think certain fish aren't as good because of "fishy" taste, while sometimes true, it's also how did they treat the fish prior to cleaning.
While "bleeding" them out can help with taste and often overlooked thing is getting them on ice ASAP.  Fat oxidizes above 40 degrees & the warmer, the faster that happens.  This basically causes the fat to breakdown into oils & leech throughout the meat.

One of the reasons most guys like the taste of fish through the ice better than summer fish, is the fact that none of the fat broke down, since the fish is chilled quickly.  

JMHO
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

Captain1978

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I should have mentioned they are from the Mohawk river around the Lock 7-8 area. And also no belly fat is served, just the filets and cheeks....
El Capitano

coachwarner

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Let me know if ya need a second opinion. I did stay at a Holiday inn last night!  :w00t:

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

Captain1978

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2014, 03:19 PM »
Of course We're going to ask the Dr..... [email protected] Just wanted to hear everyone elses opinions
El Capitano

coachwarner

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

NeverEnoughFishing

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Whewww..glad to hear your in the Mohawk River area. I was worried that honey hole you found on Friday might have been mine!  :w00t: :w00t:

ecolt14527

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Personally I believe that this toxic scare is so much of nothing !! I was born in 1936, my mother smoked, drank and ate a lake trout every day.  Just because I have an I.Q. the same as my shoe size, the eye in the middle of my forehead does not imply that my mother's life style had any effect on me !! Forgot to add, I weighted a healthy 11.5 pounds when I was born. Good luck with the new addition and god bless !!

JTP

Captain1978

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2014, 07:35 AM »
HAHA!!!v  you have a third eye and my pee and blood glow a fluorescent green!!!  Feel free to give me directions to this Liverpool honey hole. I'll take the drive... CoachWarner- Thanks for that regional map. I have already seen it and am going to mention it to the DR. Where I live the Mohawk has cleaned up from earlier years. I was actually told by DEC that this part of the river is at it's cleanest it has ever been in years. Thanks for all the congrats  ;) ;D :D
El Capitano

broadhorizons

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:11 PM »
There are enough toxins in the environment she can't control her exposure too, why would you choose to voluntarily add one more possibility?

I'm sure her doctor will say no also.

Normally, I wouldn't worry about it but why take a chance in your situation?

Congrats, Andy
Captain Andy
Broad Horizons Guide and Charter Service

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Funny this topic came up, A couple of reinds of mine are expecting and i had a conversation with them just the other day with them about the list of things the doctors and such tell pregnant women to stay away from... We had a big chuckle, mostly because by the time we hashed it all out, there really wasnt much she could eat or be around !!! Its like the prescription drug commercials when they list side effects ( usually one of the side effects are something you're taking the drug for to alieviate) or .... well you get my point...

I can see showing some caution, but at the same time lets not get to carried away.. Definately would steer clear of waters that have advisories...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Captain1978

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2014, 09:30 AM »
And the Dr.s say.....All in moderation. Because they don't really know for sure. Just like everything else 1 year eggs are bad for you. Next year eggs are good for you. Don't eat tuna. You can eat tuna but small amounts.......... Oh yeah, we're having a boy !!!! :tipup: ;D :tipup:
El Capitano

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2014, 01:38 PM »
I just had my blood and urine tested by the NYSDOH for contaminants from eating fish from Lake Ontario.  My levels were WAY below the levels of concern.  If you think eating fish from NY waters is bad, don't bother doing research on store purchased fish/seafood, beef chicken and other foods.  Contamination levels in farm raised and some Ocean caught fish are way higher than most fish in NY.  Everything in moderation is my opinion. 

greenhornet73

« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2014, 06:07 PM »
As far as we know it is said that no more than one meal per month is recommended for pregnant women regardless of where the fish comes from, including saltwater.  I know we have never taken a chance with any of our 3 kids and all are healthy which is what is most important.  It's not worth the risk in my opinion.  There are way too many complications that can occur during pregnancy as it is so why add any more fuel to the fire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.