FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best Fishing videos  (Read 9268 times)

weskeagclouser

Best Fishing videos
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:32 PM »
I'm done fishing until there's ice, but I'd still like to relive past glories. Let's see your favorite fishing videos on YouTube, whether they're one of yours or from someone else. I'll start with one of mine and one from InDepth Outdoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o492DyW2uoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSAn72Jw3QQ

Loves To Fish

• When Can We Go Again!!!!!!
Re: Best Fishing videos
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 05:11 PM »

weskeagclouser

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Whoops, forgot to format as links. Thanks for the assist!

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Nice!
Here is one I had fun with; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E00KdfvDKY

conley1993

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Nice!
Here is one I had fun with; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E00KdfvDKY

Now that looks like fun! You landed him in less than 2 minutes, impressive. I got my first false albacore this fall and those fish are an absolute blast to catch, it's like hooking onto a truck and just holding on!

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Nice vids and a beautiful albie!  Thanks for sharing.

saltyshores

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2014, 08:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPO6oGFnWOE&feature=youtu.be

This link shows 17 minutes of underwater video of landlocked salmon in Grand Lake Stream at spawning time this fall by Brian Foley. He took the video with a GoPro camera. It is well worth watching!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:58 PM »

This link shows 17 minutes of underwater video of landlocked salmon in Grand Lake Stream at spawning time this fall by Brian Foley. He took the video with a GoPro camera. It is well worth watching!

wow that place is stacked, cool video, hopefully he's not trampling over any redds

Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:08 AM »
Impressive, Rick.

There are a fair number of ragged tails and fungus infections on some.  Any idea on the % mortality from the rigors of the spawn?

saltyshores

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Impressive, Rick.

There are a fair number of ragged tails and fungus infections on some.  Any idea on the % mortality from the rigors of the spawn?

Many of the scars and ragged tails have come from either (1) females digging the nest in early November get scarred up and then get fungal infections, (2) males do a lot of chasing and bumping both pre-spawn and during/after spawning and some of it results in abrasions from stream bottom. We had no way to estimate % mortality.

Every year, we used to sample 100 salmon between 10/27-31 from the hatchery's trapnet catch at West Grand Lake, which ultimately were used for the fall egg take and fertilization. We used to see 2-5% of these prespawn salmon with some distinct sores & fungus on them. Years ago, when Pete Walker was IFW's fish patholgist, we provided him with samples of those fish. I think his findings were inconclusive as to what caused those particular sores, but he gave it a common name of "salmon wart disease", with a more scientific name of "epithelial papilloma of salmon". It was likely due to the stresses and rigors of pre-spawn salmon.

Jim C.

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2014, 02:11 PM »
As always, thanks for the details, Rick!

Many of the scars and ragged tails have come from either (1) females digging the nest in early November get scarred up and then get fungal infections, (2) males do a lot of chasing and bumping both pre-spawn and during/after spawning and some of it results in abrasions from stream bottom. We had no way to estimate % mortality.

Every year, we used to sample 100 salmon between 10/27-31 from the hatchery's trapnet catch at West Grand Lake, which ultimately were used for the fall egg take and fertilization. We used to see 2-5% of these prespawn salmon with some distinct sores & fungus on them. Years ago, when Pete Walker was IFW's fish patholgist, we provided him with samples of those fish. I think his findings were inconclusive as to what caused those particular sores, but he gave it a common name of "salmon wart disease", with a more scientific name of "epithelial papilloma of salmon". It was likely due to the stresses and rigors of pre-spawn salmon.

JDK

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Now that looks like fun! You landed him in less than 2 minutes, impressive. I got my first false albacore this fall and those fish are an absolute blast to catch, it's like hooking onto a truck and just holding on!

Back when I lived on Block Island, we had great runs of false albacore and bonito in the Fall.  One year there were small, 10-20 pound, bluefin mixed in.  You could tell when a school came in as everyone hooked up and promptly lost everything.  I hooked 3 and landed zero.  The first one spooled me.  Roached a Shimano reel that Fall on those little speedsters.
# SAND

conley1993

« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Back when I lived on Block Island, we had great runs of false albacore and bonito in the Fall.  One year there were small, 10-20 pound, bluefin mixed in.  You could tell when a school came in as everyone hooked up and promptly lost everything.  I hooked 3 and landed zero.  The first one spooled me.  Roached a Shimano reel that Fall on those little speedsters.

Sounds like a blast. Definitely need a lot of line and a good reel. Unfortunately for me the reel I had intended on using seized up on me during the trip and I had to use a smaller one with less line, still managed to land some nice albies though! Can't wait to go back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.