FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Otsego Lake landlocked salmon/brown trout  (Read 9002 times)

Gino@Rondout

Otsego Lake landlocked salmon/brown trout
« on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Hey Guys! I was wondering if any of you knew how to population of landlocked salmon and brown trout is in Otsego Lake near Cooperstown. I know lots of guys get plenty of lakers out of there, but I haven't heard any reports of salmon or browns being caught in recent years, even though I know they have been stocked. Not looking for any secret spots on the lake or what you guys get them on,just wondering about the status of the population. Thanks

BIGJim223

Re: Otsego Lake landlocked salmon/brown trout
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2014, 04:13 PM »
I have not heard of a "Confirmed" landlock catch in some years. DEC did stock 5500 landlocks in 2013 according to their stocking reports. I truly believe they became bait for the starving lake trout. I did not hear of any this year but have not checked the stocking report. The last salmon I personally witnessed was a 5.25 lb fish taken through the ice 4 or 5 years ago. Back in the late 80's, it was not unusual to catch dozens of hammer handle landlocks while ice fishing. It was so bad sometimes that I would move just to get away from them. You could not even get a tipup set before they would hit it right under the ice. I personally have never caught a legal size one.
  DEC has stocked a lot of browns in the lake in the past few years, but they just don't get caught very regularly. I have caught a few through the ice a few years ago and a very nice 7.25 lb fish in February 2012, the year Otsego didn't freeze over.

They do get caught by some guys who actually target browns in the early spring right after ice out, usually while fishing for lakers or with planer boards dragging stick baits.
  I would think more would be caught on a regular basis, but don't hear of many.

BIGJim223

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Thanks for the info Jim!

BIGJim223

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:35 PM »
By the way I caught the brown above while open water jigging for lake trout. I had caught 2 24-26" lakers before this fish and then got slammed by this brown. A total different strike and fight. I knew it wasn't a laker immediately.

BIGJim223

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:48 AM »
We had quite a few good trips out there casting hardware off the different points in late fall, wind and clouds was a big plus.   Never got any bombers, but we used to get one or two every trip.  We got a few small salmon doing this too.    Haven't done it in a few years.  

stringer01

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2014, 05:52 PM »
otsego has been dropping like a rock the fish i mean the stocking is a joke just like the walleyes there is no bait the fish for the most part are starving salmon used to be hot troll light spoons up top at like 2.5 but not worth the gas money now the browns are there but not plentiful walleyes the same lakers are starving you can find them any where from six feet to one sixty talked to dec they put walleyes in to get rid of the alwives and  then was told the were going to try to get smelt back there is no bait around cause they go in cycles like rabbits i was told believe what you want there are others who can verify better im sure!!!

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:05 PM »
Easy, slow down, take a breath, use a period.

8)

MBrown4

« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2014, 10:53 AM »
Smelt would be very nice

trouter

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:46 PM »
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/laker-chaser/landlockosg.jpg

Otsego is dead now but this is what the lanlocks used to look like. This particular one was caught off 5 mile on a sutton 44. I feel for the poo lakers if there are any left.

trouter

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:00 PM »

rakerdave

« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Wow that's a pig .

wellsley

« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2014, 03:45 PM »
That's the biggest landlock I've ever seen. What did it weigh?
LIFE MEMBER OF NORTH AMERICA FISHING CLUB

trouter

« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Landlock weighed 10.6. Those were the days! What a fight.

stringer01

« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2014, 05:00 PM »
 That is a dandy to bad there are so many restrictions on this prime  lake that the state was pushed from even installing a launch . I guess i shouldn't blame the state with the stocking program thats really messed up cause these fish were there they survive well just don't get put in anymore same as the browns . the lakers are still put in as far as i know but this lake had the potential for so much more , oh and don't forget make sure your boat is spotless to launch but overlook all the chemicals the golf course uses every year!!!  they have fined them just not enough in my opinion

MBrown4

« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Awesome fish.too bad I wasn't fishing otsego until about 4 years ago right after the crash.when was that pic taken may I ask?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.