FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Otsego Lake landlocked salmon/brown trout  (Read 9001 times)

trouter

Re: Otsego Lake landlocked salmon/brown trout
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Dont know the date for sure but must have been in the eightys since im 73 now. Back then you couldnt fish for lakers through the ice, only otsego bass and regular panfish. Im sure ice fishing has taken many breeder fish and also some of the DEC's poor decesions havent helped any. Right now, no bait = no lakers, especially the big boys. Wallys ate all the sawbellys so now what lakers are left to have to scavenge for perch. Big Jim could probably give us some history of the lake. Enclosed is a picture of a 17 pound laker which i caught off 5 mile also. big fish were not a fluke back then.

BIGJim223

« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Nice fish Trouter! Those were the days....... I have not seen a Landlock in years, DEC did stock 5500 a couple years ago.I am sure that they became candy for the lake trout!
By the way that is the biggest LL I have seen out of Otsego! Used to see a couple 5-6 lb fish a year, but that one is a hog!

BIGJim223

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2014, 11:22 AM »
the lake has gone through such drastic changes over the years from a whitefish/cisco forage base to smelt then to alewives, now...baby perch?    Very difficult situation all the way around.   Tough for the predators to survive when there is nothing left to eat.    Lake sure used to have some monsters.   That salmon is incredible!  

It will get back to that point eventually.  Its the same lake, same water...just need some help with its population dynamics.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2014, 11:35 AM »

good mother of god that is a mule landlock!  That'd be on my wall

h2ofwl

« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Lakers were not only thing eating browns and landlocks. Tough to manage a lake like Otsego with 2 apex predators, walleye and lake trout. Once a problem in food chain occurs you have a lot of predators demanding food from somewhere. Last I knew DEC stopped managing lake for browns and landlocks and will not stock any more. Changed regs on browns as well.Will take many years for lake to come back. Hope it does though. Would like to see those 17 pounders again.

stringer01

« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:43 PM »
dont forget the bald eagles

loustru

« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2015, 07:53 AM »
Two beauties!  ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.