FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Almost a State record NJ Muskie  (Read 3534 times)

soulstream

Almost a State record NJ Muskie
« on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:21 PM »
http://www.northjersey.com/towns/mt-lakes-man-s-muskie-nearly-beats-state-record-1.1166204?page=2
Ok boys here is the story:
The fish was caught on my boat,the KMB. Myself and 2 buddies launched out of Difeos, and went to the NJ side of the lake to pick up Leon, the guy who caught the fish. He has a NJ license, and lives in NJ. ,saves us a little on parking. We were fishing for walleye , and one of my buddies got his line caught in the trolling motor. I was working on getting the line out of the prop when Leon says "I got one". Not paying attention, My other buddies are telling him he has a catfish, he snagged a fish, etc. Now he circles the boat, and I am paying attention! All I had on board was a little net, so I ask if anybody has a boga, Leon has one. The gripper wouldn't fit around the fish's jaw, so I reached in and gave it a death grip! Leon fits the boga over the fish's jawbone, and in the boat he goes. We are all speechless!The fish threw up a little from both ends, so I put him in the live well and filled it with water. I tell Leon to go online and look up the NJ record. 42lbs 13oz. I took out my chatillion scale, and we weighed the fish, 45lbs!! He HAD the record! Now to get an official weight. We called 3 bait stores in the area, and nobody even had a scale! We dropped Leon back off to see what he could find and we headed back to the launch. We asked at Difeos, no info on a scale or where to find one. We called police stations, googled meat markets, nobody had a certified scale, and both NY and NJ dec offices were closed. We went to a tackle shop near the lake and they had a digital scale for sale....We explained that we may have a record fish and the store would get credit for the weigh in, and the owner put batteries in it and weighed the fish, 7 hours later. The fish weighed 41.66lbs, but still weighed 44 lbs on my scale. We wrapped the fish in soaked towels, put it in a couple hefty bags, and the next morning Leon weighed the fish in at Hackettstown Dec at 40.76lbs, not a record. We release 90% of everything we catch, but this fish will be on Leon's wall, and should be the new record. Still a day we will never forget

soulstream

Re: Almost a State record NJ Muskie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Sorry guys, the article has a picture in it. I have a mac and can't  seem to get pics on this website

rakerdave

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Wow . That's a hell of a fish

soulstream

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Yes , definitely a big surprise! No walleyes that day, but we had some nice ones the week before, 3-6 lbs

UglyStik

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:36 AM »
What a giant! Great catch. Albino coloring?

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Wow! Awesome fish!
All supermarkets HAVE to have certified scales to sell anything by weight.
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

big_guy_13021

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:33 AM »
nice catch awesome color

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.