FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Propellers  (Read 3557 times)

robbi

Propellers
« on: Dec 21, 2014, 02:50 PM »
I've owned my boat for going on 5 years now.  First boat, learning alot.  Just this past season I learned that I'm running the wrong prop.  My boat was originally from Michigan and brought to Montana.  Different elevation definitely has an effect.  Have been running a 21 pitch prop since I bought the boat and found that my rpm's should be between 5 and 5500.  I've been running low 4000's.  So I borrowed a 19 pitch and that got me to 4800.  So now I'm going to buy a 17 pitch.  My question is.......what's the difference in props?  I'm going aluminum because of price and I'm going with 3 blade.  I see on sites 17 pitch, 3 blade for around $104.00 then I see a 17 pitch, 3 blade "high performance" for $140.  What's the difference in those two props?  What makes it "high performance" and do I need to go that route?  By the end of season 2015 I will have two new props, because I have found that a back up is definitely a necessity......

I feel like a dumb ass for this taking me 4 years to discover, but glad I finally did.  Big difference getting on plane with the 19 vs. 21........so can't wait to see what the 17 does....

Mac Attack

Re: Propellers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:20 PM »
The "high performance" designation typically means slightly more cupping.  The prop will have less tendency to cavitate, drawing air, through a turn.  Especially if your motor is lifted high on transom near its limits.
Now, here is where I have the issue.
It's an aluminum prop.
Typically, if you are looking for performance, you always talk stainless steel.  Not aluminum.
You're on the right track though.
Find the correct prop.
Keep the closest as a spare in an emergency (hitting bottom).
And put the others on CL for sale.
Good luck.
Mac

robbi

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Thanks Attack.........that  explains it better.  I'm only running a 90 hp so anything "high performance" won't have drastic effects.  Funny, I just bought a new prop and had one rebuilt the past year or so.......LOL.  so yeah, I have a brand new rebuild for sale and a new out of box that has seen one season on it.

Once I decide what to buy........they will be up for sale......in fact I already had the rebuild on a local auction site........wrong time of year I suppose because I haven't had any bites.

jopes

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2015, 12:54 PM »
Iboats.com has a great prop tutorial on what everything means under thier prop buying section.

Basically your running a 90hp.  Unless your breaking 50 mph a SS is juts going to cost you more money.

Another thing, unless your engine is fuel injected it may very well need to be rejetted in the carbs, especially if your over 5000 ft elevation.  Chances are where you got it from it was jetted for sea level. 

robbi

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Thanks Jopes........I checked on getting the engine "tuned" for this altitude, but the mechanic said to change the prop and see how it runs........

NautiBuoys

« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2015, 10:08 AM »
Just a thought-
You might try a 15" pitch prop or have your spare re-worked as I was always told your WOT rpm should be toward the higher end of the throttle range. Meaning, if your engine is 5000-5500 rpm, the closer to 5500 you are the better (just don't exceed)...

You've been lugging your engine and its a proven way to take years off its life.

SLAYERFISH

« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:28 PM »
What size/kind of boat?   On a 90hp Im betting 15 is gonna be right.   Ive got a 115hp on a 17.5 ft tracker in colorado (5ooo ft)I run a 15" stainless.  If I went down to fort peck (2200)I could run a 17".

robbi

« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2015, 11:30 AM »
I've got a Lund Pro V 1775.  Have been running a 21 pitch at about 4200 rpm.  Borrowed a 19 pitch and ran about 4800 rpm.  So I'm thinking a 17 should put me in the sweet spot of between 5000 to 5500 rpm.  If it's still low I'll try a 15. 

Nautibuoys........get the spare reworked?  Can they change a 21 pitch to 17 pitch (aluminum)? 

IFF

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Don't think I would try and change the pitch like that.  Think it would cost more, than it would be worth.
*¿*  Bud

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:50 AM »
I know you want to stay aluminum because of the money but in my opinion the performance gains from a SS prop is worth it. I've also found that places that sell quality SS props will typically let you "try out" a certain pitch and cup for a day... if you don't like it send it back and try something a little different. With my current boat I went through 3 before getting the one that was just right... The only thing extra it cost me was about 5 minutes of my time and $10 shipping per prop.
I'm speaking of experience with bassboats only though, Deep V's and trollers may not be as sensitive to prop choice.

jopes

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2015, 10:10 PM »
I don't think they will repitch a prop much more than 2" either way.

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:34 AM »
This site has some great props and service, I buy all my props from these guys and it is not too bad to send a prop back and get it refurbished when it is a little dented up.

http://www.propmd.com/propeller-repair-service

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2015, 09:28 AM »
This site has some great props and service, I buy all my props from these guys and it is not too bad to send a prop back and get it refurbished when it is a little dented up.

robbi

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Looks like a good site.........lot's of info.......thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.