FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: DB smelt  (Read 16092 times)

chief10point

• we are going to need a bigger boat!
DB smelt
« on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:37 PM »
just curious what's everyone's favorite DB smelt for trout and salmon
chief10point

chillywillie

• Team Maine
Re: DB smelt
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:16 PM »
I have a few favorites.  One is the purple/pink pearl and the other has shiny orange back with a white front with a red stripe down the middle.

weskeagclouser

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2015, 04:32 PM »
Pearl is my go-to.

aziscohosaddict

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2015, 06:22 AM »
chief, i have around two dozen and start with a couple different ones and see what they like and switch to the same one or one similar in color. its amazing how the fish can be picky. Fished a lake in the afternoon and then the next morning, you would think they would prefer the same color but they wanted nothing to do with what was working the night before. i do prefer the orange with silver in the rangeley region. -AZ

fishlessman

« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:12 AM »
rangely is probably my favorite as well as the orange back zigzag one. has anyone noticed the db lure not being as effective as it was just a few years back, maybe the salmon are just seeing them too often.

jrelaxin

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:54 AM »
Each lake is different and colors vary....sometimes orange/dots...sometimes just blue/yellow...........sometimes pearl..........sometimes yellow/dots............ ;)
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

TunkTroller

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2015, 10:20 AM »
rangely is probably my favorite as well as the orange back zigzag one. has anyone noticed the db lure not being as effective as it was just a few years back, maybe the salmon are just seeing them too often.

Have noticed it for sure. Discussed it a few times with some others on here who have noticed it as well. On the up side mooselook wobblers seem to be on an upswing

shrinkage

• I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2015, 01:40 PM »
I think it does change year to year. 3 years ago Kennebecs were awesome. 2 years ago the bronze dB was the lure of the year for me. Last year red and silver DB was steady...

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2015, 02:23 PM »
Have noticed it for sure. Discussed it a few times with some others on here who have noticed it as well. On the up side mooselook wobblers seem to be on an upswing

the small fishlanders were my best lure last year, bought up a lifetime supply in copper blanks and gold blanks, time to get an airbrush. ;D

Nomis

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2015, 04:04 PM »
This is the first I'm hearing about these lures and I'm always looking to expand my horizons. How well do they work for smaller trout? Most of what I fish for are around 12-18".

TunkTroller

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2015, 10:55 PM »
the small fishlanders were my best lure last year, bought up a lifetime supply in copper blanks and gold blanks, time to get an airbrush. ;D

I do mine and I enjoy airbrushing more than tying flies. Hagens and Janns net craft are the best resources going if you're getting into spoon creation. They have massive catalog selection and send a paper edition free

fishlessman

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:40 AM »
This is the first I'm hearing about these lures and I'm always looking to expand my horizons. How well do they work for smaller trout? Most of what I fish for are around 12-18".

they work very well for trout that size, especially rainbows but good on brookies too. they are a trolling spoon, not a casting spoon. the problem is the amount of color combinations, it gets pricey ;D

Nomis

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2015, 03:19 PM »
they work very well for trout that size, especially rainbows but good on brookies too. they are a trolling spoon, not a casting spoon. the problem is the amount of color combinations, it gets pricey ;D
Thanks. For the price, it doesn't seem too bad to buy a selection of them. The wife will be a lot happier than when I buy and inevitably lose those $12 stick baits.

44 Degrees North

« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2015, 02:34 AM »

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2015, 05:45 AM »
That looks like a fair budget to me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.