FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: st croix rods.  (Read 3805 times)

fishingeorge

st croix rods.
« on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:20 AM »
What are the differences between the Rage and Eyecon?

gundogwanted

Re: st croix rods.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:41 AM »
The Eyecon is made with an SCII blank and the rage is a SCIII blank. I believe they are both made in Mexico.

http://www.rodbuildersupplies.com/St_Croix_Blanks.pdf

I would spend the extra few dollars and buy the AVID.
But any rod made by St Croix is good.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

robbi

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:32 PM »
don't know the technical differences.  I've got 3 Eyecons and 1 Legend Tournament.  They're all great rods.......of course the Legend is the better of the 4.  Bought Eyecons for jigging and love the feel of them with braid.  Suppose it depends on what you're gonna be doing with the rod that will make your decision.  Looking right now to buy 2 more rods specifically for slip bobbers.......haven't decided on what's gonna be the best for that.  I've got numerous other brands of rods, but slowly but surely I'm getting them turned over to St Croix and thinking about throwing a couple of G. Loomis rods in there.........

slipperybob

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2015, 01:18 AM »
Well Eyecon are designed for the walley fishermen techniques.  The Rage are kind of an alternative for bass fishermen.  Well more casting type rods.  However they feature smaller line guides. 
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

pot-belly-pike

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2015, 07:50 PM »
I Like the Bass  mojoe    rod they make

you guys  gotta get  to park falls   wis...     to get  into the barrl  of rods  they got  I did

& I fell  on one & broke it  & then I went out of the boat   Not funny
Smile it makes others wonder what your up to

~:+)

oh no fish-on i gotta get fishin

htc

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2015, 10:53 AM »
the eyecon does not impress me what so ever. over priced unresponsive.

just my opinion though.

-htc

monovasia

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2015, 10:15 AM »
I use the St. Croix ultra lights 6.0 and 7.0 for all my fresh water stuff, mostly trout.. And I use their light ice rods... Love them... I can feel every vibration and nibble... Highly recommend them

pete/ny

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2015, 11:50 AM »
I have 13 St. Croixs and love them all. I just bought 2 new EYECONS for jigging and they are lightweight and very responsive when jigging. I also have many other rods from ice rods to Trolling rods but always seem to grab my St. Croixs! But in todays Tackle World they are all great rods and seems to me that in this case, the more $$ you are willing to spend, the quality of the rods go up to. ;D

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2015, 01:18 PM »
I have 13 St. Croixs and love them all. I just bought 2 new EYECONS for jigging and they are lightweight and very responsive when jigging. I also have many other rods from ice rods to Trolling rods but always seem to grab my St. Croixs! But in todays Tackle World they are all great rods and seems to me that in this case, the more $$ you are willing to spend, the quality of the rods go up to. ;D

X2 - I have 15 and love them all. By far my favorite is the The Legend Gold Ice.
Wicked Wec

boondox

« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2015, 10:30 PM »
if looking for a cheaper alternative to st Croix try shimano convergence or even the calrus rod series life time warranty on their rods I am on my 10 th season of my convergence I have their first run a im6 model that is life time warranted never had to use it if I was to buy another rod it would be a shimano...but st Croix are not bad either are g-loomis or even powell etc.. I started out believing the hype these higher end rods were the way to go.. till I found a few brand that were the absolute same thing you get from st Croix  maybe better ... I had problem with a few st Croix like blank finish ,epoxy finish,guide wraps, and cork not up to par those were the usa made avids.....  $200-250 buck's for a usa made rod that's not up top par is  why I will never buy a st Croix again but every one has there reason for buying what they buy....

but tell you the truth there are better rods out there... I am not hear trying to pick fights mod staff would take care of that in a minute just giving you the honest truth about st Croix if looking at a new salmon rod gary loomis is selling under a new name just a head up I think it was nrx rods? ... .but there about $500-900 per rod minimum he made have sold that company and went on to better stuff who knows...  but for sure look around at other companies like okuma, shimano....  okuma were a tad tip heavy making them fast action but the shimanos were darn good rods ...if it is a gift fir some one requesting a st Croix then that's different story  like said every one has there reasons to buy st Croix  like buying a abel reel...there are ton of other manufacture out there that do just as good ...

any how just thought I would give my heads up that I had problems with them st Croix rods....  that is coming from a rod builder that knows stuff about rods and would never buy a st Croix again... best way to compare is head to some shops and compare rods like the okuma walleye series rods to the shimano walleye series rods to the st criox rods.... give them a good wiggle you should be able to tell what is better after that compare the cork all the way down to the fit and finish.see if the rods of st Croix are worth the extra money..  china versus mexico lol's hate to say it but the imported blanks are not half bad....thought I would rather buy American.... I think the rod from okuma and shimano are half that of the st Croix Mexican rods  just a head up...

almost for got fenwick rods too about the same price as the st Croix have had some really good fenwicks too just a head up...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2015, 01:36 AM »
If you're spending $2-300 on a rod and not having it  custom built, you're foolish. I think I have 2 production rods in my collection. Neither has the original guides. Both have been re-wrapped to correct guide placement.

I used to be a St. Croix fan. Not any more. There are way better blanks out there for a lot less money.

Find yourself a rodsmith!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.