FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Niagara river Reservoir  (Read 2298 times)

stratos122

Niagara river Reservoir
« on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:27 PM »
Hows the fishing in the reservoir in the spring? I never really tried it and stopped and took a look at it today as i was driving by just wondering if anybody fishes it normally and has some info on it. Im gonna try it when the ice comes off I always like to do  a bit of shore fishing before i bring the boat out of storage then i mainly fish the finger lakes.

Mac Attack

Re: Niagara river Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2015, 03:47 PM »
Nice place for perch or smallies.
You can walk the edge casting a spinner or topwater for the bass when the weather, and the water, warms up a bit.
But the perch in there are pretty decent.
Warning though - those boulders go out quite a ways.
So you need to be able to cast a bit out into the rez to get past them.
And when you reel your line in, don't be shy on the speed or you'll go through tackle in a hurry.
I've fished both the north and south shore of it quite a number of times with my buddy Scotty (fishryc).
I'm sure he'll chime in here and send you some more info.
Mac

stratos122

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:50 PM »
Nice place for perch or smallies.
You can walk the edge casting a spinner or topwater for the bass when the weather, and the water, warms up a bit.
But the perch in there are pretty decent.
Warning though - those boulders go out quite a ways.
So you need to be able to cast a bit out into the rez to get past them.
And when you reel your line in, don't be shy on the speed or you'll go through tackle in a hurry.
I've fished both the north and south shore of it quite a number of times with my buddy Scotty (fishryc).
I'm sure he'll chime in here and send you some more info.
Mac

Thanks for the info perch is mainly what ill be trying for. Do you know how deep it drops to just wondered?

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Thanks for the info perch is mainly what ill be trying for. Do you know how deep it drops to just wondered?

Deep.
Not really, but it's deep for sure.
And the water level changes.
Scotty needs to chime in here.
I'll flag him down over in IS and tell him we need his services.

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:41 PM »
done

He'll be here in a day or so.

fishryc

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:29 AM »

Deep.
Not really, but it's deep for sure.
And the water level changes.
Scotty needs to chime in here.
I'll flag him down over in IS and tell him we need his services.

OK, ya talked me into it!
 Reservoir is deep; I'd guess 40' on the flat bottom below the sloping boulder walls.
 You need to cast as far as possible as not to let your sinker on the bottom set up get snagged.
 Reel in fast with your rod tip high, and don't stop.
 I use 10' ultra light rods with a 1.5 oz sinker on crappie rigs.
  Every species in the Niagara River is present.
 I've caught as uncommon catches a 47" muskie, and a couple channel cats over the years.
 Pike and bass are frequent to minnow using perch fishers.
 I target the perch, which population / fish size has varied hugely over 35 years that I've fished it.
 1-1/2 hour limits with double headers on before you hit bottom at it's best, down to the lull of recent years.
 Only got a few over the last couple trips.
 Best time for fishing is high water- highest on Sunday & going down daily until it reaches the low point on Saturday.
 You can access all sides- I generally go off Garlow Road, but have fished all over.
 Years back, everyone went off Rt. 31, but for whatever reason, you don't see as many cars there anymore.
 Nor, the number of persons.
 I've seen up to 100 people all taking limits in up cycle years; last time being around 10 / 12 years ago.
 Good luck, I hope this helps............................................ .....
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

stratos122

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:23 PM »
OK, ya talked me into it!
 Reservoir is deep; I'd guess 40' on the flat bottom below the sloping boulder walls.
 You need to cast as far as possible as not to let your sinker on the bottom set up get snagged.
 Reel in fast with your rod tip high, and don't stop.
 I use 10' ultra light rods with a 1.5 oz sinker on crappie rigs.
  Every species in the Niagara River is present.
 I've caught as uncommon catches a 47" muskie, and a couple channel cats over the years.
 Pike and bass are frequent to minnow using perch fishers.
 I target the perch, which population / fish size has varied hugely over 35 years that I've fished it.
 1-1/2 hour limits with double headers on before you hit bottom at it's best, down to the lull of recent years.
 Only got a few over the last couple trips.
 Best time for fishing is high water- highest on Sunday & going down daily until it reaches the low point on Saturday.
 You can access all sides- I generally go off Garlow Road, but have fished all over.
 Years back, everyone went off Rt. 31, but for whatever reason, you don't see as many cars there anymore.
 Nor, the number of persons.
 I've seen up to 100 people all taking limits in up cycle years; last time being around 10 / 12 years ago.
 Good luck, I hope this helps............................................ .....

Thanks this will help me out now i just gotta wait for the ice to melt lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.