FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: LINE COUNTER REELS  (Read 4931 times)

jeffro9023

LINE COUNTER REELS
« on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:07 PM »
I used the search engine for info on latest and greatest line counter reels and info seemed a bit outdated. Im posting a bit prematurely being January and all. Im in the market for a good quality trolling reel with line counter. Looking at Daiwa, Okuma, and even the Cabelas brand Okuma, mostly want it for walleye and trout. Looking at about 100 dollar threshold. But that can be held loosely. Dont need a real big one or super fancy. Im looking for durable and functional without worries.
Where can I catch a crappie? Thanks in advance

Thor

Re: LINE COUNTER REELS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:13 PM »
I have two Daiwa Accudepth Plus 27 reels that hold 7 colors of 18 lb. leadcore.  I have a Daiwa Accudepth Plus 17 and a Daiwa Sealine 17 that hold mono.  I don't use them too heavily, but they've held up fine under my limited use.  

In my opinion, I wouldn't spend a fortune on line counter reels unless I either had money to burn or made my living fishing.  Most of the time, the rod and reel just sit in a rod holder waiting for a bite.  You don't use them for casting, and I've never been lucky enough to worry about needing a great drag.

So far, the Daiwas' counters work, reset buttons work, star drags work, in-gear levers work, and clickers work.  Not much else to say about them.  Hopefully, someone with a lot more experience than I have with line counter reels will respond.

I see the Daiwa's on sale at Cabela's once or twice a year.  I picked up the Sealine in their Bargain Cave at a price cheaper than I paid for the Accudepths.

The Shimano Tekota is supposedly a very good reel, and I believe Daiwa now has models that use digital counters.

jeffro9023

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:01 PM »
I have two Daiwa Accudepth Plus 27 reels that hold 7 colors of 18 lb. leadcore.  I have a Daiwa Accudepth Plus 17 and a Daiwa Sealine 17 that hold mono.  I don't use them too heavily, but they've held up fine under my limited use.  

In my opinion, I wouldn't spend a fortune on line counter reels unless I either had money to burn or made my living fishing.  Most of the time, the rod and reel just sit in a rod holder waiting for a bite.  You don't use them for casting, and I've never been lucky enough to worry about needing a great drag.

So far, the Daiwas' counters work, reset buttons work, star drags work, in-gear levers work, and clickers work.  Not much else to say about them.  Hopefully, someone with a lot more experience than I have with line counter reels will respond.

I see the Daiwa's on sale at Cabela's once or twice a year.  I picked up the Sealine in their Bargain Cave at a price cheaper than I paid for the Accudepths.

The Shimano Tekota is supposedly a very good reel, and I believe Daiwa now has models that use digital counters.

Thank you for your response, I was eyeballing the ones you mentioned. So many out there its tough to make a decision.

broadhorizons

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:02 PM »
You couldn't go wrong with either of the 2 Daiwa models. The difference between the Sealine and the Accudepth Plus is that the Sealine has bearings and the ADP has bushings. I have ran ADP 47 and 57's for several years without a problem on riggers and wire dipsies. I did switch my rigger rods over to Penn 320LD reels however (non-LC).

Another reel I like is the Okuma Coldwater, comfortable, super smooth function and excellent smooth drags but the drag system is designed different than conventional drag systems on all other reels so it took a little getting used too. I run these as my wires now and it was a great upgrade from the ADP 47's. They were around $110 each over the summer when I got them. I compared them to the Tekota 600lc at Jon's in Mexico and couldn't see what the extra $60 or $70 per reel was buying me.

I have no experience with Okuma Convectors which is another one too look at in your price range.

The question you need to answer for your self is... am I buying reels to last a while (ADP) or forever (Sealine/Coldwater). Make sure you check them out side by side to be able to feel the differences between them.

Good luck,

Andy
Captain Andy
Broad Horizons Guide and Charter Service

jeffro9023

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:06 PM »
You couldn't go wrong with either of the 2 Daiwa models. The difference between the Sealine and the Accudepth Plus is that the Sealine has bearings and the ADP has bushings. I have ran ADP 47 and 57's for several years without a problem on riggers and wire dipsies. I did switch my rigger rods over to Penn 320LD reels however (non-LC).

Another reel I like is the Okuma Coldwater, comfortable, super smooth function and excellent smooth drags but the drag system is designed different than conventional drag systems on all other reels so it took a little getting used too. I run these as my wires now and it was a great upgrade from the ADP 47's. They were around $110 each over the summer when I got them. I compared them to the Tekota 600lc at Jon's in Mexico and couldn't see what the extra $60 or $70 per reel was buying me.

I have no experience with Okuma Convectors which is another one too look at in your price range.

The question you need to answer for your self is... am I buying reels to last a while (ADP) or forever (Sealine/Coldwater). Make sure you check them out side by side to be able to feel the differences between them.

Good luck,

Andy

Price is always a target number, but if waiting another paycheck means a world of difference then it can wait. I want it mainly for walleye so im dealing with 5-10lb fish which shouldnt be alot to ask out of any reel. I do want decent quality that will last a reasonable amount of time. Its hard to put time on equipment when you fish hard all year. You get what im saying. So would jumping from a 120 reel to a 160 dollar reel benefit me much? or am i paying extra money for quality functionability i dont need? Will a corvette get me to work ? oh hell yeah!!!! but so does a cavalier. I want reliable!!! so hard to find with all this chinese crap thrown at us anymore grrrr.

broadhorizons

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:37 PM »
I didn't feel there was much difference between the $110 Coldwater and the ~$180 Tekota at all. Personally, if you handed them to me blindfolded and asked me what one I liked, I would choose the Coldwater. Linecounter mounted on top, HUGE comfortable handle, good clicker, racheting star drag, and butter smooth drags. Of course many of these features can be found on the Tekota except the top linecounter and a smaller handle.

The Daiwa Sealine is and has been a work horse on the Great Lakes for decades but I would upgrade the handles for more comfort. That would still put you around $100 per reel with a lifetime of use.

Either way, if you get cheaper ADP's or Sealines and Coldwaters, if you ever wear them out on Erie Eyes (I assume) send them out to Tuna Tom in Michigan to have them serviced for around $25 per reel and they will be better than new.

Another option is to find Sealine Sg27lc's used and send them right to Tuna Tom..

If you want to call me with questions, feel free (315)527-3652.
Captain Andy

broadhorizons

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:19 PM »
FYI...someone posted 5 Sealine SG27LCA's on LOU in the classifieds. Also some SG47LCA's.
Captain Andy

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:48 PM »
Another vote for the Daiwa Sealines here. I've got 16 of them.. some linecounters and some not (for downrigging). Six of them are at least 30 years old and the only thing I've ever replaced are the drag washers. If you're fishing for Erie eyes.. the 17's are perfect. They hold 300yds. of 30# braid and fit in my hand well. Not big enough for wire or core, but great for boards, riggers or dipsy's. As mentioned.. the one's on LOU sound like a decent deal. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

jeffro9023

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Well, after taking a trip to Cabelas and getting able to handle and play with all of the reels stated and a few others I liked the okuma cold water the best...they were all nice but I liked the big crank and knob handle on the cold water that was the deal breaker...Thank you for all your input I'll be waiting for the big spring fishing sale to see if I get a better deal. I am always open for more opinions. I am forever in debted for your help.

salmonr

« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2015, 07:13 PM »
Im not trying to steer you but if you like you can email me at [email protected]

broadhorizons

« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2015, 08:29 PM »
The large handle on the Okuma's do make them a more comfortable reel than the rest. I'm glad you took the time to check them all out.
Captain Andy

Icedauber

« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:59 AM »
I have 2 Daiwas , 17LC and a 27LC.  Work quite well.

filetandrelease

« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:14 AM »

For trout and eyes I have been using SeaLine 17,s for years couldn't be happier

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:45 PM »
I have 4 Sealine 17's so far. As others said, they are great for Eyes. As soon as the wife isn't looking, I'm going to have 2 more ;D.

jeffro9023

« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:29 PM »
I have 4 Sealine 17's so far. As others said, they are great for Eyes. As soon as the wife isn't looking, I'm going to have 2 more ;D.

Out of curiosity which sealine is the best model? there are several different ones  ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.