FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Slip Bobber Rods  (Read 8749 times)

robbi

Slip Bobber Rods
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:53 PM »
OK........here we go again.  Last year I was looking to buy jigging rods.  Now this year I want to put 2 rods/reels together strictly for slip bobbers.  Bring on the suggestions!!  I'm leaning towards St Croix because I've got 4 of them now and really like them.  But, am open to anything right now.  My biggest questions are what length?  and what power?  and why?  My thoughts were 7 to 7 1/2 foot for ease of casting........but don't know whether a fast tip or moderate tip is best for setting the hook.  What size reel?  2000 series? 2500 series?

tomturkey

Re: Slip Bobber Rods
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:26 PM »
I have been using various fly rods for fishing slip bobbers. The added length give you the ability to make hook set when there is a lot of line below the bobber.

I actually built the boss lady an 8 foot spinning rod out of a fly rod blank so that the bobber knot did not catch like it can in the snake guides of a fly rod. I also have found some pretied knots that are made from smaller diameter thread that makes for a smaller knot making them less likely to catch in small guides.

robbi

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:55 PM »
that's a helluva idea Tom.  I don't have any old fly rods, so gonna have to buy a rod either way I suppose.........Thanks for the input.......

tomturkey

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2015, 07:22 AM »
Find a cheap one at a flea market or second hand store before buying a big $$ one to see if it works for you. Most of mine are yard sale buys as I am not some one that thinks I have to pay big $$$ for a rod to catch fish. Tight azz Hollander to be truth full.

I hardly use my spinning rods since going to fly rods. I actually have 4 or 5 fly rods in the rod holders on my pontoon when I hit the water. Having extras keeps me fishing if I have trouble with the set up on a rod. we can fish 3 rods in Michigan so having an extra or two keeps me fishing.

bee

« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:01 PM »
For slip bobber I go shorter. A lot of my slip fishing is in fallen trees and brush. I find it easier to control my cast  and be more precise with a shorter 5 to5 1/2 ft. rod.
Hookum & Cookum Otherwise Releaseum

tomturkey

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2015, 03:34 PM »
I can see why you might want a shorter rod.

I am fishing an open lake for jumbo perch letting the bobber drift (troll) trying to locate a school of fish. The biggest problem I have doing this is keeping the bow out of the line so I can get a good hook set.

Fighting a jumbo 13-14 inch perch on a fly rod is quite a thrill.

I do not think that I mentioned that I do not use beads below the knot as they get caught in the guides making casting difficult. The bobbers I use have small enough holes so the knot does not go through.

robbi

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:42 PM »
My target with the slip bobbers will be walleye.  So 98% of the time I will be in the open.  On occasion I may have to flip into an area with overhanging bushes/trees.

reelrusty

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2015, 12:52 AM »
Hey all! New to this forum  but not new to slip bobber Wallies. My go to setup is the Bass Pro micro-lite float-n-fly rod. They have em as short as 7 1/2 ft but I like the longer ones up to 9 1/2 ft. Smaller spin reel about the size of the older Mitchell 300 on the longest one. These are rated ultra-lite but with the right shot and float, fish a 3 inch minnow just fine. Best of luck! After your first 4 pounder on this rig you'll wanna put the boat on the trailer rather than drag another bottom bouncer!! :laugh:

jopes

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2015, 12:43 PM »
I have gone to bait casters for slip bobbers.  The little stop doesn't get hung up with other line like it does on a spinning reel.

For slip bobbers you do not need a $200 setup.  You don't need to see or feel the bite in the rod, your just setting the hook and winding them in. 

reelrusty

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2015, 08:56 PM »
 8)10-4 on the dinero Jopes! My 8 1/2 ft micro-lite and the president 2500 including fireline for less than 120 smackers. Not knockin St. Croix. I just got different priorities I guess.

robbi

« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:33 PM »
UPS delivered them today.  I ordered from Cabela's bargain cave.  Ended up with two 8 foot (telescopic style) Cabela's medium light XML walleye series rods.  Normally 150, on sale for 60, then another 10 % off and free shipping, although still had to pay the additional $8 per rod because of length.  All said and done $124 for two rods.  I see a couple of reels on there also for about half of normal price, will probably pick them up also.  

What does everyone recommend for line?  I've switched alot of my fishing to braid.......but I've read that mono might be the way to go for slip bobbers..........any thoughts?

tomturkey

« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:02 PM »
Seeing I am targeting pan fish I use #4lb. mono. I never have used any thing else so I do no know what to say about braid.

I have landed a few pike and some 15 inch walleye fishing with the 4 lb. I am using minnows for bait most of the time, that is the reason for the pike though I have caught a few on worms. I did have quite a few bite offs from pike before we had a major pie die off a few years ago.

robbi

« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2015, 12:57 AM »
Thanks T.T.    I think you want stretch when setting the hook in a bobber situation.......but trying to feel out what others are doing.  Obviously mono works for you since you've never strayed........

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2015, 03:42 PM »
I just built a 9' slip bobber rod out of a 5/6 wt Martin fly rod I found at a garage sale for $5. I rig that way for crappie and catfish. Never tried it for walleye. Should be very serviceable.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

IFF

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2015, 10:29 PM »
Now I'm going to have to find time to take in some yard sales, ;D these post are giving me way to many ideas.

I use a couple 6'6" bait cast rods for my slip bobbers.  But like Rg's fly rod idea  ;D
*¿*  Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.