FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: winter trout  (Read 2711 times)

centerpinjosh

• live to fish forced to work
winter trout
« on: Feb 06, 2015, 11:24 PM »
I know its mighty cold but I have been getting the itch for some stream trout. I do a lot of winter steel heading so I know how it goes in the winter but can never connect with stream trout for some reason.. Does any one have any tips tricks or baits they are willing to share so I can get into a few? Thanks in advance and tight lines

centerpinjosh

Re: winter trout
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:40 AM »
Any one?

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:03 AM »
For steelhead, I found salmon eggs or a blue salmon egg fly works well.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:20 AM »
Trout season in NY doesn't open till April 1st...     ??? ???
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:23 AM »
 :D

SLAYERFISH

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Here in Colorado, trout are open all year. I have always had good luck drifting roe sacs in the winter.

chrony59

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:26 AM »
try a small shrimp type nymph .......................Oatka Creek is year round and I have good luck with them fished deep in slow pools !!
Usually when it's a little warmer like over 32 degrees ....................lol

centerpinjosh

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:45 PM »
I have a few streams open year round  like the Genny or the cohocton..  I have a stream trout. Centerpin rod and generally run jigs with waxies but would not be against throwing a few nymphs... Just not sure what ones would be productive this time of year?

boondox

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:44 PM »
to get you started what about egg flies or beads like a 8-10 mm beads that orange or yellow? beads pegged to the line with a hook like i think 2-4 inches below it...  egg flies work for me in the spring when the brown trout drop back behind steel head to gobble their eggs... don't see why the winter trout would not do the same as for other flies it hard to say could be any number of one species of caddis, stone flies, or mayfly nymphs  i would pay attention to the bottom of the river substrate like gravel or muck or what ever and try to figure out what kind of bugs in New York live in that type of water. also look at the current and what types of current you got like swift river current or slow steady pace of a creek cause the more the water churns and aerates the more caddis will be there  cause of more oxygen being in the water but the current can be a down side for some bugs cause too swift the clinger nymphs and swimmer nymph get swept away to easily...   it all about reading the water when fly fishing... and coming back and comparing what live in that stretch of stream. i sure you can find hatch charts but you need more like book caddis flies or mayflies it is hard you could also ask around what to use at fly shops??? like buy a couple flies to get you started and tie copies?       

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:47 PM »
for flies: stonefly nymphs, black woolly buggers, midge larva/pupae..

lures: jigs/tubes and anything fished low & slow.

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2015, 01:21 AM »
don't forget temperature too has a lot to do with whats going on under the surface when the sun come out turn to  nymphs like  stone flies hex etc...  / midges larva like San jaun worms, zebra midges etc... slow presentations are best. trout get a over dosed in oxygen in the winter and it speed up there burning off of food so they tend not to chase below i think 40*F or 35*F... you can look it up the correct temps... but will chase more actively above say 45*F... there is a holding pattern between say 45 and 35 were it seems they key in on the two...  and people get mixed up on which to use so do the fish so it is harder to catch them cause of this.. if one or the other does not work switch it up ...a lot of stuff about fish and bugs are temp dependent...

also notice if there is a rise and what the fish is doing like a rise that leave a bubble behind out of it's gill plate  this is a dry fly cause it broke the surface and sucked in air when it ate.. or it the rise but no bubble present is a surface film sip like a emerging bug that has not broke threw like a crippled spinner etc... that and look for side to side movement on the bottom of the river from the fish like there moving side to side sitting on the bottom as in grabbing nymphs as they drift by....   same can be true for egg as nymphs.. when the water temp get cold they may just turn there head to snatch the bug or egg just a heads up.. not move three feet to grab a bug like in the summer...  

IllynPayne

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2015, 08:03 PM »
Here in Montana we fly fish quite a bit for the trout.  Scuds and nymphs and the like.  We also do well using a steel head setup with pencil lead or egg sinkers, bouncing spawn sacks or minnows over the rocks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.