FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Michigan City  (Read 5787 times)

crappiehunter

Michigan City
« on: Mar 21, 2015, 08:08 PM »
Had fun at Michigan City today. Slow morning but saw abt 8 coho caught by guys on both sides of me. All I got was a sucker!!!! lol

Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

stinkybaits

Re: Michigan City
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2015, 08:23 PM »
Perfect Musky size sucker.

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2015, 08:59 PM »
That sucker is about the same size as the one my son caught off the pier last weekend.  Hope to see you out there after spring break. Keep after them.  Was the pier area clear yet?

Gartoon

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2015, 09:29 PM »
 ;D
Didn't know you were there (lol)
I was over on DNR side.
Got my five but kinda small-good eaters
Was kinda neat to see the Ice roll in though .

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2015, 09:39 PM »
hay one for the smoker not bad... what you guys using for bait down there? roe? or shrimp?   a lot of guys on Michigan piers are using shrimp cook shrimp from the store in spawn bag netting... cut in to small chunks the shrimp are  there using it on a slider rig  with a float on the line cast a heavy weight in to the drink then slide down a swivel with a leader attached with hook spawn bag  and float in the middle about two three foot up. by heavy weight we use 3-6 ounce of the piers like a pyramid sinkers or storm sinkers. on light rods like up to half ounce max weight recommended..

any how sound like your bottom fishing and at the wrong depth maybe ? any ways juts offering up advise if you need it? which i don't think you do you got a sucker some people have a hard time catching those? any how the ice is came down our river just like it is in your photo and can't fish it yet either...

oh by the way on that rig i just said set the drag light or use a bait feeder reel the water is so cold right now up top is why i think the fish are up at the surface feeding... any ways nice sucker now you just need a couple coho's...

we stack two rig on a rod for a total of six hook here in Michigan  max limit of the law so pay attention to your reg not ours if you use this rig ..    

heck at least some people  are getting out so i can see some pictures that are  getting me thinking!

RoeBoat

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2015, 10:03 PM »
We were going to hit the harbor when we were up there on Friday but ran out of time after 3 stops on the creek.

That sucker reminds me when I was a kid my family had a cabin in Ontario.  My Grandfather would go buy suckers by the case from commercial boats coming off the Great Lakes.  They would clean, chunk, and can them in some sort of ketchup mixture.  They came out nice and pink like samon.  I don't remember what they tasted like and no one seems to remember the recipe.

The good old days.

stinkybaits

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2015, 06:40 AM »
A friend cans salmon. Cubes up a fillet that was soaked in saltwater overnight and packs it in a pint canning jar. Adds 2 tablespoons of ketchup and a tablespoon of oil. Leaves an inch of space at top of jar. Pressure cooks at 10lbs for 90 minutes. Says bones are so soft they eat. He's done it with suckers, buffalo carp, pike, musky and other fish he didn't grill, fry or bake. Makes fish patties then or eats like sardines with crackers. I've never tried it yet. I would modify it a bit by cold smoking the fillets first or adding some liquid smoke and some hot sauce. Flavors could be endless!

bherr24

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:23 AM »
Was there yesterday morning as well just down from coast guard. Caught 2 coho, one on shrimp under a float and one on bottom with skein. Ice rolled in and forced me to pack things up. Went out on the pier and did not get a hit, water was still a little murky. Heading back up there this week sometime.

Gartoon

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2015, 03:57 PM »
 >:(
Went back this morning
not a bite,,,,,,
Saw 3 fish caught

Thats how it goes maybe next time.

wlatrout

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:24 PM »
planning to go up Tuesday.

MC_angler

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Pier area is chock full of ice again. From Coast Guard to DNR is open.

Only a handful of guys fishing... I think the word got out about the slow fishing this weekend.

wjr1244

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Hey Mike, looks like the one you pulled out of the creek a few years back.

crappiehunter

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2015, 07:45 PM »
Yeah all I ever catch is suckers!!
Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

boondox

« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2015, 10:21 PM »
Yeah all I ever catch is suckers!!

what you said here are you pursuing them? or are you just joking around? seems i get suckers when i fish for steel but never when i am fishing for that exact fish  ??? some people smoke white fish and suckers i find that sucker meat is to greasy for my tastes same as white fish to me  .. any how was just wondering if you are pursuing them or not when all you catch is suckers?? try the shrimp and floats if after coho's or steel head explained about above...   

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2015, 08:45 AM »
Caught that same ugly sucker yesterday, along with one coho, some are being caught, but its slow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.