FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Do you believe fish attractants work?  (Read 6429 times)

Captain1978

Do you believe fish attractants work?
« on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:22 AM »
I remember last open water season I cooked up  a "sauce" to put on some of my lures. Swimbaits to be exact.. I was getting a good bite with Walleye. It was late in the season, right before the rivers froze. Anyways I was getting Walleye left and right. Along with a nice 7lber. No Bass or Pike though. And they are in the spot I was fishing. So during ice season I "chummed" some of  my holes with my "sauce."  Still getting Walleye. Pike and Bass. So did the "sauce" work or just a coincidence? I am a firm believer with scented baits such as rubber worms and tubes and so on. I believe the scent helps attract and the taste makes them hold on a little bit longer for abetter hook set. Now I believe it may have helped when using it on my swimbaits as the river I fish is a little murky....Mohawk river... I know it gets clearer as it gets colder and other bodies of water freeze that run into it. I keep such lures or baits in zip locked pouches such as the ones rubber worms come in as to not get my tackle boxes smelling and messy. Note....the sauce I made sticks to my swimbaits sooooo awesomely!!!! It does not come off like a spray does in water after multiple casts. I may just put some on my hard lures though. Why not? Fishing stuff is supposed to smell like fish right??? Whew..... Sorry if I rambled.  ;D
El Capitano

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Do you believe fish attractants work?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:44 AM »
I always have a bottle of Baitmate  and crawfish scent on the boat. Crappies love the Baitmate. I also use it on crank baits trolling for walleye.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2015, 11:37 AM »
yes

they most certainly do work.

ask any catfisherman.

saltwater chumming has been done for years with great success.

fish, as do most all animals, have a superb sense of smell.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2015, 04:31 PM »
RG  says  wd-40  works
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

big_guy_13021

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2015, 04:35 PM »
Everybody says w-d40 works...

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2015, 04:42 PM »
just  for  new  guys, it's  a  standing joke  here  ....if  you  go to  wd-40's  web page ...it  tells  you

Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil. Fact: Consumers have told us for years that they've caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Don't know about fishin, but...........I spray it on my rusty old nuts and they loosen right up ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Pequod1

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:19 PM »
You devil  ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:01 PM »
 ::) ::) ::)
Works for me.........
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

oatkasut

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:17 PM »
scent works but I don't use it on my flies or bait nor my lures. I can't believe RG that you have anything rusty around your place!

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Don't know about fishin, but...........I spray it on my rusty old nuts and they loosen right up ;D

Rg

cashews?

IFF

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:09 PM »
Pretty sure not those Attack, or the other ones he has, or we would hear about what to use to get rid of a rash  ;D
*¿*  Bud

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:25 AM »
The Devil made me do it :-[

Rg

pikechaser

• let em run
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:45 AM »
actually never tried any attractant, but may have to now capt !..............go big or go home

Nomis

« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:48 AM »
I'm trying the Gulp Alive minnows for the first time this season. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they perform compared to stick baits while trolling.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.