FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: new to crappie fishing  (Read 2516 times)

John M

new to crappie fishing
« on: Mar 24, 2015, 01:58 PM »
A motor vehicle accident has changed my fishing style.  I use to fish standing up, pitching,flipping,skipping for bass.  Now, I fish from a seated position and have cut back my bass fishing quite a bit, but will attempt  to fill the void with pursuing crappie, bluegill, redear sunfish.  Also will be going from catch and release to keeping a few for meals and freezer.  But, I have a lot of reading to do, on the different species.  I'd appreciate a little help in my finding these new species.
Don't want any GPS coordinates, just basically a generalization of bodies of water that have good populations of the various species.  
When pursuing crappie I should concentrate my efforts to Honeoye, Chautauqua, Oneida???
Bluegill- Honeoye????
Have fished most of the finger lakes, lake Ontario bays from Sodus Bay to Chaumont.
So, would appreciate any help in concentrating my new interest in the bodies of water that hold good populations of the specific fish I'm pursuing.
Thanks & Tightlines

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: new to crappie fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2015, 05:45 PM »
well  john  we  would  love  to  help  you ,  first  fishing  for  panfish  can   be  as rewarding  and   as  aggravating ass  chasing  bass  or  trout ..... crappies  especially....  good  news  spring  is  coming ...  easy  target  areas  when  ice  out  occurs  sodus  bay bridge  .small pond  in  fair  haven  the  sticks  if  you get there  early to  get a  spot ...  I  think  you'll  find  places !  ....  for  gills  a  small  ice  dot a  few  spikes  and  a  bobber   a  foot  or  so  above   work  the  shallows  and  watch the  crowds ....  crappies  I  prefer   a  tube  jig  ( glow  is  tough to  beat)  and  a  casting  bobber  18  inches  above   or  a  minnow ... work the  wood  during the morning     just  before  dark  hit   the  streams .....  follow  the  people  and  have  fun  ...watch the  post in  here  and  pm people  .most  guys  will help out  someone  privately  faster  then  posting in the  room
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

greensider

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:02 PM »
will you be fishing from a boat or shore fishing that will help with spots as far as catching crappies there are time when other jigs work well but i fish hard for crappies and have come to believe a 1/8th ounce maribou jig white or chartruce will day in and day out will get more and bigger fish i like the yellow eagle claw rods for crappie they are soft and will not pull the hook out mid april through june is the best time i fish eastern ny if you are ever in the hudson valley area i would be happy to give you some places to fish

trapper2000

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:34 PM »
green funny you say that ...now  I'm a  tube jig fisherman   however  I have a  small lake  no pressure on it  and  the  only thing that  works  is  a maribou  jig ...white  in  color ....  only  place  I  ever  seen them lock jaw  to  anything  else

John M

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciate your suggestions.  I fish from a boat, and mostly in the western and central part of the state.  The ability to pattern the crappie in the spring undoubtedly will be much easier,  but tasting those delicate morsels of early season should provide the necessary incentive to find schools in the deeper depths throughout the summer.  That and my two new side imaging hummingbirds.

buffaloice

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:30 PM »
John,check your inbox

greensider

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:09 AM »
i have seen a few days early summer when they will take a tube before a maribou but i have a hard time putting down the maribou i have to mutch confidence in it working

trapper2000

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2015, 05:20 PM »
i have seen a few days early summer when they will take a tube before a maribou but i have a hard time putting down the maribou i have to mutch confidence in it working

I'm the  other side of the coin  I'd  go  for  a  tube  before  anything else .....  same reasons

greensider

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2015, 05:39 PM »
the one thing i like about larger maribous is the gills do not hit them unless they are big ones

trapper2000

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:18 PM »
never caught many  gills on tubes .....I like beetle spins too  they can be fun

greensider

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:53 PM »
every time i fish in the spring with beattle spins i get huge bass

trapper2000