FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kayak Fishing  (Read 1852 times)

ICEHOLE

Kayak Fishing
« on: Mar 27, 2015, 11:43 AM »
So I picked up a Wilderness Systems Ride 135 last year, and only had a few chances to try it out before snow and ice. Getting anxious to take it out again, but I am trying to prepare for cold water kayak fishing. I do not want to be wet and cold and uncomfortable. I see they make a bunch of different dry suits, splash pants, dry pants, dry tops, semi dry, etc etc.   I was told to look into NRS or Kokatat for water proof pants and tops. I don't know much about these companies, nor can I tell the difference between all the different types. also cant decide what is a better option for fishing, pants/top or waders. Hoping someone cant help me with suggestions, styles, brand, stores etc. I fish pond and lakes (no salt water) from ice out to late fall early winter. looking for something that is best protection when the water is really cold. I kind of like the idea of waders and I see hodgman mentioned alot, but their reviews on their site are weak any other brand worth considering?..thanks to anyone who can help
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

stripernut

Re: Kayak Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2015, 12:16 PM »
I have use Neoprene waders when white water kayaking in March, Kept me warm and were very uncomfortable.  I had no trouble swimming with them on and getting myself out of class 3 water when I dumped the kayak (a few times), but not something most people would want to make a practice of... I must of been a sight getting up on shore and holding my legs up in the air to let the water out! I have fished out of a kayak with my breathable waders and they are great, comfortable and with lairs, warm as I want! You will have plenty of people tell you that going in the water with waders on is a good way to drown, but that was never a problem for me... The only trouble happens when you are trying to get out of the water and that is when you have to lift the water with you... As for tops I just used what I had around...

boondox

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2015, 04:47 PM »
what about cabelas neoprene waders? have had luck with all mine.... all cabelas brand foot ware is unconditionally warranted for life of the product  at least it was when i bought mine they may have changed the rules on this???   had on pair i returned for a seem ripped after five years of owning them i paid $229.99 +tx for them and got back  $200 for them threw there prorated warranty...  got another pair of waders 5mm stocking foots that are kick arse...  only paid $69.99 for the new ones  and got a tibor light  back county fly reel for $180 on top of it.. so it all worked out for me...   i think there new brown cabelas wader  are very good to the boot foot models    they got a nice shin knee guard on them for taking photo's when wading...

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2015, 07:51 PM »
how wet do you get in the boat? i was thinking about buying a set for the spouse and myself. as wet" behind the ears as you can get  ;D

all cabelas brand foot ware is unconditionally warranted for life of the product  at least it was when i bought mine they may have changed the rules on this??? 

be very careful with that statement.
they are warranted for the life of the footwear. when you have issues with it, they ask for a receipt to see how old it is. the footwear life is to be determined when you call in to customer service. they will not say how long it is when you buy. they just say "lifetime".  what they omit saying is how long the footwear is supposed to have for its life time. they have a scheme to tell them if yours is out of that period when you want help with it.

because of that rip off scheme they use, i won't be paying them any more for footwear. if they would just be honest and say 2 year warranty or like it really is, i would still buy it.

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2015, 09:54 PM »

be very careful with that statement.
they are warranted for the life of the footwear. when you have issues with it, they ask for a receipt to see how old it is. the footwear life is to be determined when you call in to customer service. they will not say how long it is when you buy. they just say "lifetime".  what they omit saying is how long the footwear is supposed to have for its life time. they have a scheme to tell them if yours is out of that period when you want help with it.

because of that rip off scheme they use, i won't be paying them any more for footwear. if they would just be honest and say 2 year warranty or like it really is, i would still buy it.

very true that why i said it may have changed since i got mine to check in to it more.... next best one would be some thing like orvis or ll bean waders  i think orvis waders got a 25 year warranty or did? not sure off hand?? and ll bean i think is the same  just like simms waders they are life time warrantied but how long is the life time of the products?

also could try red ball waders ?? another brand a little cheaper thought then hodgemens  but mite be worth a shot?

bucks-n-ducks

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2015, 02:41 PM »
I wear my breathable waders with layers. Works great and very comfortable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.