FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rain Gear  (Read 2591 times)

bowhunter1527

Rain Gear
« on: Apr 03, 2015, 09:49 PM »
Hey guys heading to Can in a few months and am looking into some rain gear. Ive narrowed it down to GM H2O tech or the Frabill F 3. I already know if I wanted to spend a ton of money  I can get the Guide Gear from Cabelas but I really dont want to spend that much. Any info would be great thanks.

Thor

Re: Rain Gear
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2015, 10:36 PM »
A lot depends on what you plan to do while you are there.  Helly Hansen Impertech is probably the most popular raingear in Alaska, and SE Alaska is a rainforest.  I have an Impertech parka and bibs, along with several other Gore-Tex pieces.  If you want to stay dry from the elements, HH Impertech is the way to go.  However, it is not breathable.  This isn't a big deal if you're sitting in a boat or on a stand.

Gore-Tex and similar garments might be breathable, but they will eventually wet out in extreme conditions under heavy exertion, and you'll end up just as wet or wetter on the inside as with Impertech.  Also, Gore-Tex type garments won't dry as quickly as Impertech if you need to wear it again the next day and you don't have a good place to dry it, like if your roughing it in a tent.

If you are looking for breathable on a budget, I would check out Marmot Precip.  Try to get a jacket with pit zips if you'll be doing a lot of hiking.

Check the Internet for reviews and see what you find on Impertech and Precip.

Captain1978

« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2015, 11:46 PM »
I have had the same rain suit for 21 years.  1994Columbia rain suit. Breathable and keeps me dry as the Sahara  desert. Cost me $60 at the time. I don't think they even make it anymore..... Newer models are much better. Mine is basically rubber with a few breathable pockets. Way old school.. But I works.
El Capitano

wyogator

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2015, 09:57 AM »
As Thor mentioned above, it depends on what you are doing. I have a rubber Columbia suit that isn't breathable, but will keep me as dry as a HH in a boat. When I went to Alaska, that is what the guides recommended.  I also have a Cabelas Gore Tex Guide suit that I wear hunting and hiking. Truthfully, my cheap Columbia works way better when sitting in a boat or canoe.

Lund sss

• Tight Lines, Steve
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2015, 12:30 PM »
I've got 2 full sets of Guidewear from Cabela's  1 thinsulate and 1 non. I understand not everyone can drop over $1000 dollars for all weather gear but when your fishing open water in Jan. One can't skimp on outerwear. That being said if there isn't cold temps I put on my $50 Frogg Togg suit and dress under it. Basically a tyvek suit but works great.

boondox

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2015, 01:02 PM »
i have the gm tech gear from about 15 year ago still work for me to this day.. still get a lot of moisture in it but what can you do better then being swamped... mine is canvas not gore tex or any thing their similar to cheap breathable waders ...  like hodgemen wade lite's kind a canvas  style wader...  funny thing is the rain coat is built tough it lasted longer then my hodgemen waders ..  if you can inspect them all in person to thin you be wet no mater what like most packable rain coats get you ...

Chawk190

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Good rain gear is worth every penny, it can make adverse conditions tolerable and even comfortable. I have a few year old set of Cabelas lite weight Gore-Tex for general use  and they are holding up very well.  For heavy weather, work and saltwater inshore/offshore fishing Grunden Herkule's 16 bibs and Brigg 44 jacket are my choice they are heavy and you won't be very hip and stylish, but you will be dry and they can take a serious beating. I keep one set for fishing and another in the work truck.

royjulius

• Bluegills and Shorelunch!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2015, 10:30 AM »
Check redrockstore.com, they might have some close outs left on the Striker stuff. I bought a climate suit for about 1/2 price last year from them and it is awesome. Liners zip out for spring fishing, and it floats. In fact, last week I caught a couple of lake trout and I gill hooked one and got blood all over my suit. My Mom wanted to wash it for me so I let her. She really complained that she couldn't get it to go under water! So next time I guess I'll just hose it off.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Lord_of_the_Perch

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Guidewear from Cabela's ...expensive; but you only need to buy it once.

Pliskin1

« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2015, 12:57 PM »
I own both the Cabelas Guide Wear and a Helly set.  Both are quality construction and good stuff.  Each has its own place, with the guide wear typically being used during down pours and/or scooting across a lake in a bass boat at 60+mph. 

For rock bottom price and protection, you can't beat a rubber rain gear suit from whatever manufacturer.  But they don't breath, so if you are active, you'll sweat, and that'll make you cold.  I wear rubber when fishing the salt out on a boat. 

If you do go with whatever breathable suit, I'd suggest getting bibs versus pants.  While they are a bit of a pain when nature calls, having the bibs a little higher than the pants can be a lifesaver when you're bending over.  Rain seems to find its way into the strangest places...

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2015, 01:11 PM »
If this is just for the boat be sure to check out Frogg Togg Dri Ducks. They stow in an 8"x8"x2" bag, are extremely light, but surprisingly tough, and are inexpensive.

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

SLAYERFISH

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2015, 01:17 PM »
I backpack into remote areas and I simply CANNOT get wet.   I buy either North Face or Helly Hansen breathable jackets/pants for around $100-150 per set.  They last around 5 years of heavy use and do not leak. They are packable and light. I only buy the non-lined type so I can layer my own stuff underneath.

jibbs

« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2015, 10:47 AM »
i have the guidewear from cabelas and this year I bought the pro qualifier from bass pro...like others said...it  lasts forever and nothing worse than being wet...I do like the simms gear and the new huk rain gear, but crazy prices
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2015, 09:58 PM »
Use my work rain gear.  Granted it's Hi-Viz yellow but I stay nice and dry. Tingley Icon 3 and pants
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.