MFF US Midwest > Michigan
Why do you fish?
(1/4) > >>
rp dog:
 First I want to wish everyone a happy and safe Easter. I had to think about for a while and hope you will think about it before you reply. I think I know why I do but not as straight forward an answer as I thought.
stripernut:
I have given this a lot of thought over the years and when I am guiding I often talk with my clients about why they love fishing and the answers are all over the place... There are so many reason I love to fish, I could fill a book, but I have narrowed it down to the moment that I love the most; The hit or first tug on the line. Whether it is "tap" on a jigging rod for pan fish or watching my popper be inhaled by a bluefin tuna. Or the sound of a Jitterbug being hit in the dark and waiting for that tug that tells me the bass did not miss. Or the slam of a brown taking my wollybugger as I get the drift just right or having a big cod inhale my jig and having a broom stick of as rod bend over and line just starts rolling off the reel.  That first tug is the moment that I love the most. It is filled with all the possibilities, from a bend in the rod to a hit and run! A epic battle or agony of a broken line. To be "attached" to a wild thing, all starts with that tug. That is one of the reasons for me trolling is not as much fun, with out the rod in my hand, to feel that first tug, is just not the same.

So, in the end it is that moment that I love the most, it is not the only reason, but it is a big part of why I fish and fishing is my life...
Sluggo / NY:
Stripernut..I can certainly relate to your sentiments. There's something about that tap, tug or when your jig just stops dead.. but for me.. it's mostly the solitude. I've fished for over sixty years.. most of the time with friends, but my absolute favorite is drifting the local river by myself jigging for walleyes. I get into what my friends call "my fishing zone". It's when I forget about all of the worlds problems, as well as my own, and just concentrate on where I'd be and what I'd be looking for if I were a fish. Even when trolling on Erie with my buddies they often have to jar me back to reality to get my attention. My wife often consols me if I come home fishless. My response is always.." I had a great day.. I was fishing". Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)
3300:
i started fishing because i ended up living on union lake. my front yard was a 500 plus acre river with a dock and nothing more. i thought what a waste of not utilizing the water, so i got a canoe, then again i thought what a waste of opportunity, so i bought fishing gear. i don't care about eating fish, so much. it was more like a mold that i was poured into.

growing up our family had cabin cruzer type boats for just boating and swimming from them. so being on water was no problem to get back onto it.

what keeps me coming back to fishing is the experience's and the depth of the sport and because we are built mostly from water, we have a yearning to be on it any way. there is a lot at play when going fishing and you can try to keep it simple or allow all of the depth of it all to sink in and enjoy it to its fullest.

i find it unfortunate that we need water police and dnr and to buy into those, in order to be able to enjoy all of this. for some one to put a "price and rules" on this just feels wrong, is another way to put it. american indians don't have to bow to the all mighty order of that part of government for example.

it is what it is tho and i make the most of it and as often as possible.

great topic!

rp dog:
 This is strictly non judgemental on my part or any body else's when this topic slows down i will throw in my .02.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version