FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Rodbuilders, What's In The Lathe?  (Read 18197 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Hey Rodbuilders, What's In The Lathe?
« on: Apr 05, 2015, 06:26 PM »
I know there's some builders here. How about a thread sharing some ideas and projects?

I've been wrapping up a 7' medium weight IM-6 spinning rod for a friend. It was time to make some modifications to my lathe. I changed the switching around to allow me to run the lathe at a constant speed of around 100 rpms for finishing using the existing rheostat. The second switch position used to control the drying motor. I installed a new switch for that. Now I can wrap using the foot peddle to control the speed and finish at a higher speed. I can then change to the slower drying motor for about 6 rpms.

I also made a slip clutch for finishing which allows me to stop the rod at any time without shutting down the motor. This makes it easier to coat threads and keep from building up excess material at the guide feet.

Click on the next picture to see the video,

Pretty simple really. A bolt, a couple of nylon washers, a threaded Rod coupler with a set screw installed and a spring for tension. I can post some pics of the assembly if anyone would like to see it.

I'm pleased with the results.
Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Rodbuilders, What's In The Lathe?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Looks great Bob... Love the color........ :clapping:
Did you ever make a 7 1/2' medium heavy bass rod?   ::) In 2 piece..?     8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2015, 06:55 PM »
A couple. The weighty rods are pretty straight forward. Good fly rods and UL rods get fussy. I only have 2 commercially produced rods in my collection. The other 28 I built myself over the years. Some are much bette than others. But the setup gets better each Rod I build.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2015, 06:57 PM »
This is going to be a great thread. I've only ever made 2 rods, a jig rod for walleye, and a 2 piece 7' fly rod, both on just a pair of v-blocks. I'll be watching and learning for sure.
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2015, 07:06 PM »
Hopefully others will chime in here, but I'm willing to share anything I've learned over the years. It's very rewarding to fish your own rods.

Rg

Big Ice Hole

• So many fish, so little time
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2015, 07:21 PM »
Nice job on that rod rgfixit, looks professionally built.

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2015, 07:59 PM »
sweet!

shimanoman54

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2015, 08:08 PM »
I would like to get into building this year. Any ideas what start up cost would be and pointers on where to start.

boondox

« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2015, 10:05 PM »
first off very nice rod!

I would like to get into building this year. Any ideas what start up cost would be and pointers on where to start.

second part :
card board box = $0
thread bobbin about $5-$10
thread about $6
epoxy $15-$30 depending on brand and amount.
wood dowel and a  foldable paper clip. for making a card board box rod wrapper.. cost about $4 for those.
dollar store kid paint brushes for applying epoxy $1.
dixie cups small size the kind that are plastic with out a wax coating the wax will screw up epoxy.. $1-5..
drying motor for turning the rod under 30 rpm it is a gear reduction shaded pole motor can range from $1-$100  seen a few at janns net craft for about $10...
you can get a rod building kit with a lot of stuff from get bit out doors .com for 39.99+ s&h.
2x4 like $4 to mount drying motor to
and a rat tail file course for like $10 or a couple wood dowels to ream cork..with sand paper taped to them. 
 masking tape $5
and syringes for measuring epoxy about $5 you want a 50/50 mix of a and b part of the epoxy.
bic lighter to melt the thread tag ends when finished wrapping..$2

if you were to buy a rod wrapper they run you about 39.99 for the junk one to about $300 for a really good one...

if you chose to use the card boar box let me know i can get picture on how to set it up...i prefer it over the $40 flex coat one sold every ware that has pegs that break real easy plus the card board box is free cant beat free...  if need be leave a post or private message me so i know you need them and were your would like the post to be at on here like which part of the forum.. will e mail link if needed to the thread... any how will let you total it all i started building my own my dad has aa wood lathe i use and the rods turn out awesome with wood handles... like maple burl handles  and bird eye maple etc.. etc... i would throw up picture just don't have time just don't have time right this second...

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:17 AM »
Rg...Wow, what a setup!!  Although you explained its purpose, I still don't understand the purpose of the slip clutch.  You temporarily stop it to do what?

rp dog

« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2015, 07:31 AM »
Nice set up about as simple a clutch as can be made. Nissestty is the mother of invention. Beautiful rod glad to see I'm not the only one that goes to this extreme.*

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2015, 08:15 AM »
Rg...Wow, what a setup!!  Although you explained its purpose, I still don't understand the purpose of the slip clutch.  You temporarily stop it to do what?

When applying the finish epoxy it's difficult to get an even coat while the Rod is constantly spinning. It's easy to get too much material on the wraps or not enough. The epoxy also builds up under the guide foot at the end of the thread wrap. If I can stop the rod, I can address those build ups and remove excess or add where necessary. Makes the whole process go easier.

Check out Flex Coat's video section on applying their products. It will clarify the purpose of a clutch. They have a clutch system they sell for a pretty hefty price. Mine cost around $4 to make and does the job quite well.

The lathe is a luxury, but I've built a lot of rods and its a lot easier on my old hands. Years of construction and electrical work take they're toll on the digits. I cramp up trying to hand wrap. I still do very small diameter rods by hand, but the lathe does the bulk of the work.

I'm always tinkering around with my tools. Just can't leave well enough alone :-\

Rg

rp dog

« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2015, 09:49 AM »
  R G hope you did not take what I said the wrong way by saying it was simple I would have done same thing. That picture of the clutch is stuck in my mind. To late for me but a good nugget for the next guy.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2015, 10:54 AM »
Not at all. I love sharing a simple cheap idea that works.

Why is it too late for you?

Rg

rp dog

« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Already bought one i should have taken a few minutes and thought about it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.