FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Rodbuilders, What's In The Lathe?  (Read 18201 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Rodbuilders, What's In The Lathe?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2015, 02:07 PM »
The flex coat clutch? How do you like it? I came really close to getting one. I looked into the price for the boxed motor they use in their video. Over $500. Yeah .....right ::) those are what I should build.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2015, 05:35 PM »

I'm always tinkering around with my tool. Just can't leave well enough alone :-\

Rg

Me too.
 ;D

See you tomorrow.
That place take a credit card?

I have a trolling rod that needs an eye repaired.
I was gonna trade lunch for the repair.
 :whistling:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Stupid ipad typing always gets me in trouble ::)

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:16 PM »
I don't do repairs while I'm eating. But I do take credit cards. Can't do anything with them....I just collect them.

Yeah, it's a real restaurant with tables and everything ;D

Bring the Rod along. I'll fix it up.

Rg

rp dog

« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:38 PM »
The flex coat clutch? How do you like it? I came really close to getting one. I looked into the price for the boxed motor they use in their video. Over $500. Yeah .....right ::) those are what I should build.

Rg
  Bought mine quite a while ago back when it was just Netcraft not Jan's The owner at that time made me a good deal on whole lathe with clutch and all Flex Coat system. I know I've probably had it at least 15 years maybe closer to 20 . Works fine but I will build one like yours it will be interesting to try both. Don't remember for sure what i paid for system thinking around 300. If I would have paid much more than that I would have to build them in the dog house.

Mac Attack

« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:56 PM »
I don't do repairs while I'm eating. But I do take credit cards. Can't do anything with them....I just collect them.

Yeah, it's a real restaurant with tables and everything ;D

Bring the Rod along. I'll fix it up.

Rg

Cute.
It's in the car.
Remind me to tell you a story about a restaurant that didn't take cc's.
A "buddy" of mine set me up good.
 ::)

hunters08

« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Great thread...I have been wanting to get the stuff to build a few rods.  I noticed a lot of the blanks are as much as a store bought rod. Is there a p[lace you guys buy the blanks cheap?
If i'm not fishing than i hope i'm turkey hunting!!!

rp dog

« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Great thread...I have been wanting to get the stuff to build a few rods.  I noticed a lot of the blanks are as much as a store bought rod. Is there a p[lace you guys buy the blanks cheap?
I'm going to bow out on this one I always want to look at them and hold them better talk to N Y guys on that one. Never bought a blank i didn't look at first.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2015, 03:12 AM »
My Lathe came from a dealer in Florida. With the upgraded headstock  and a second drying setup it was around $400. Seemed reasonable back when I was still working. Glad I bought it then. Now that I'm retired, I have time to play with it.

I've bought blanks from most every supplier. Any reputable dealer will take a return and yes, I've sent some back. There's no real good place around me to go and try a blank any more. Used to be a nice shop nearby but it went the way of many Mom and Pops succumbing to the big box plague.

I used to buy from Mud Hole but canceled my account when their shipping hit 30% on a $25 order that was shipped first class mail. I wasn't impressed.

There's a couple of Ebay suppliers I've been dealing with for quite a while that provide quality, no hassle materials at very reasonable prices.

No one said it was cheaper to build your own. Or to have one built. Granted, there are some very reasonable kits out there, but you still get what you pay for. You'll save some money for sure.  Depending on your level of expertise, you should end up with a better product. The big names are pretty proud of their blanks. They get big bucks.....more that they should in most cases. Personally, I don't care what it costs.....if it doesn't feel right, it ain't right!

Rp, I need to put up some pics of the Laser Guide alignment attachment I tinkered up. I've got a very usable prototype.

Rg

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #24 on: Apr 07, 2015, 06:38 AM »
I've started getting blanks & supplies from acidrod.com.  Prices are reasonable.  Bought the 6' Batson Rainshadow E-glass ultralite blank for $14.50.  Can't wait to give it a try this spring.

rp dog

« Reply #25 on: Apr 07, 2015, 08:12 AM »
My Lathe came from a dealer in Florida. With the upgraded headstock  and a second drying setup it was around $400. Seemed reasonable back when I was still working. Glad I bought it then. Now that I'm retired, I have time to play with it.

I've bought blanks from most every supplier. Any reputable dealer will take a return and yes, I've sent some back. There's no real good place around me to go and try a blank any more. Used to be a nice shop nearby but it went the way of many Mom and Pops succumbing to the big box plague.

I used to buy from Mud Hole but canceled my account when their shipping hit 30% on a $25 order that was shipped first class mail. I wasn't impressed.

There's a couple of Ebay suppliers I've been dealing with for quite a while that provide quality, no hassle materials at very reasonable prices.

No one said it was cheaper to build your own. Or to have one built. Granted, there are some very reasonable kits out there, but you still get what you pay for. You'll save some money for sure.  Depending on your level of expertise, you should end up with a better product. The big names are pretty proud of their blanks. They get big bucks.....more that they should in most cases. Personally, I don't care what it costs.....if it doesn't feel right, it ain't right!

Rp, I need to put up some pics of the Laser Guide alignment attachment I tinkered up. I've got a very usable prototype.

Rg
Laser guide sounds pretty interesting also. I only build 1or 2 rods a year mostly for myself or son or brother. Just another source of  therapy.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #26 on: Apr 07, 2015, 10:07 AM »
I've switched over to making furled leaders for a little bit, but I'll set it up later this week. Worked the nuts :thumbup_smilie:

Rg

rp dog

« Reply #27 on: Apr 07, 2015, 11:59 AM »
Trouble I have is I really don't have room to leave mine set up. Usually only set it up once in a while but is good therapy. I haven't bought a complete rod in a long time! Next time I set it up I will definitely use laser for guides.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #28 on: Apr 07, 2015, 01:01 PM »
I should have room, but I keep finding new things to do ::) I'm about to remedy that though. I've been planning to,repurpose a space in the shop just for the Rod building setup. New drying box etc.. Probably sooner than later.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #29 on: Apr 07, 2015, 02:36 PM »
rg are you using mono or tying thread for them leaders? i found 2 lb mono to be to thick and switched to tying thread works awesome for trout  leaders... any how you must already have the jig for making them let me know if you need any info on making them any one?   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.