FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Rodbuilders, What's In The Lathe?  (Read 18200 times)

jeffmac85

Re: Hey Rodbuilders, What's In The Lathe?
« Reply #75 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Can't post pics, I don't do the photobucket thing.  The handle was done by Josh Vandermeer in Bowmanville, Ontario.   He does very good work, and with the exchange rate the way it is I actually saved a little money there.  Blank is a 13'6" 2pc CTS Affinity Float.  A builder out of Michigan named Jay McKnight (Wyandot on cptalk.com) has the blank on order for me through his distributor, but because they come from New Zealand it takes a bit to come in.  Guides are more than likely going to be Fuji TiSiC, or possibly torzite if the price is right.   Haven't chosen a butt wrap style yet but there are a few I have in mind.   I'm thinking blue and silver wraps because it will be mated with my Milner Kingfisher with silver spool and pewter backplate, and my handle and real seat/butt incorporated blue dyed burl wood.  I'm extremely happy with the work Josh did on my handle, I'll see if maybe my dad can post a few pics for me.  If anyone is interested pm me for his contact information, shipping from Canada took a bit but it was well worth the wait

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #76 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Sounds more like an FA-18 than a fishing rod. But hey, if you're happy with it.........

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

jeffmac85

« Reply #77 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Can't land steelies with an FA-18 though ;).   

jeffmac85

« Reply #78 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:00 PM »
Cost is a bit less than an FA-18 as well, by only about $39,999,300 

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #79 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:17 AM »
Just finished a rod as a surprise gift for my fishing partner.  A 1 pc. 6' ultralite using a Batson Rainshadow E-glass blank.  EVA foam handle & New Concept guide spacing.  Nothing fancy but I think he's really going to love it on the gills. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #80 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:50 AM »
It's always a great reward to see a friend enjoying a rod you've built for them.

Mounted my epoxy mixer.

I'm ready for action ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #81 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:27 AM »

I'm ready for action ;D

Rg

Of course you are Bob.
Of course you are.

;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #82 on: Feb 04, 2016, 04:29 AM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah ::)

For you rod builders who still use bushings or masking tape to build up blanks at the handle, consider switching to Fibatape.

Self adhesive drywall tape. Around $7 for a huge supply. The advantages are obvious. Cheap, easy, epoxy sets all the way to the blank.

Rg

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #83 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:35 AM »
great info.i will try the dry wall tape
thanks
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Flukeman

« Reply #84 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:45 AM »
RG,

If a guy thought he may want to give this a try to see if he might enjoy it, are there any books or articles you would suggest researching for a beginner?

Thanks,
Jeff

Mac Attack

« Reply #85 on: Feb 05, 2016, 11:30 AM »
I'm extremely happy with the work Josh did on my handle, I'll see if maybe my dad can post a few pics for me. 

sorry - deleted them.

rlowery

« Reply #86 on: Feb 05, 2016, 01:18 PM »
Thanks to our friend RG and some time and effort on my part, I have built my first rods. I have done 2 ice rods so far, but plan on a few fly rods and spinning rods, maybe even a nice bass crankin' stick or spring trolling rod...  :whistling: gonna need a second job too haha

Gonna post some pics once they get up and going, might be a good time with all the questionable ice and warm temps, and tax returns

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #87 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:33 PM »
RG,

If a guy thought he may want to give this a try to see if he might enjoy it, are there any books or articles you would suggest researching for a beginner?

Thanks,
Jeff

The world is at your fingertips these days. A few key strokes and a search or two and you'll be immersed in a ton of information. Some of the best I've run across is from Flex Coat. Search their site and watch some of their  videos. They're a great resource. 

There's plenty of us around and most, including me are very willing to help with any questions.

Rg

jeffmac85

« Reply #88 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:52 PM »
Not sure if posting another forums name is a no-no but rodbuilding.org and rodbuildingforum.com are great sites to help as well

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #89 on: Feb 06, 2016, 04:17 AM »
I've checked out both of those sites. There's some good stuff to sift through there.

Rod building can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it. I hand wrapped for years before buying a lathe. But, my hands are getting old and the lathe is a pretty cool toy ;D

You can build a hand wrapper and be ready to go for less than $20. Buy an inexpensive rod kit and give it whirl. You'll use that first rod, no matter what it is, for many years to come.

I build my rods to fish with. I've never really liked the look of complicated thread work and don't care to add the extra weight to a fly rod. Form follows function for me. I want a sturdy reel seat, a grip that fits my hand and suits the rod, guides that are appropriate and spaced in correct proportion and a good hook keeper.

Put a well made reel and a good hunk of fly line on it and the rest is up to the operator. In my fly rod collection there's 1 manufactured rod that was given to me. An older Orvis 8 wt. The rest are my own. That goes for my open water rods as well. Those are all my own. I don't waste time on ice rods. I can buy a good one for $8. ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.