FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Rodbuilders, What's In The Lathe?  (Read 18199 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Rodbuilders, What's In The Lathe?
« Reply #90 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:48 PM »
Finished my dubbing table today. I like it, it's expandable.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Drifter_016

« Reply #91 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:46 AM »
I really need to build a new rod wrapper.
Have had the stuff for years but keep on using my trusty old V block one.  ::)
I have upgraded my late though. I do still use the old one but the new one really is better for certain things like insert turning.

The old
This is also my float making lathe. :)

The new

A couple of builds of mine.
Rainshadow 10' 7wt fly stick

13' XST float rod

15' Raven IM8 float rod

13' 6" 10wt spey conversion for shark fishing. :)

Ultra light jig stick

13' 6" 7wt Sage Z-Axis Spey Conversion

rlowery

« Reply #92 on: Feb 08, 2016, 03:32 PM »
Beautiful rods drifter!!

When you mention spey conversion, are you referring to a spey "intended" blank you have almost re-purposed as a float rod?

Drifter_016

« Reply #93 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Beautiful rods drifter!!

When you mention spey conversion, are you referring to a spey "intended" blank you have almost re-purposed as a float rod?

Thanks.  :)

And yes!! ;)

jeffmac85

« Reply #94 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:42 PM »
Top notch builds there drifter.  I like the mykiss too ;), phenomenal reel.  You do great work.   Do you have any pictures of floats you've done?   I made a couple torpedo slip floats that I turned mostly on a drill press and finished by hand.  If I can find them I'll get a few pictures up.  I've been thinking about picking up a cheap lathe to turn more, maybe some handles down the road as well

Drifter_016

« Reply #95 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:09 AM »
Top notch builds there drifter.  I like the mykiss too ;), phenomenal reel.  You do great work.   Do you have any pictures of floats you've done?   I made a couple torpedo slip floats that I turned mostly on a drill press and finished by hand.  If I can find them I'll get a few pictures up.  I've been thinking about picking up a cheap lathe to turn more, maybe some handles down the road as well

Only a couple of pics of unfinished ones Jeff.
These hadn't been clear coated and had the stems trimmed yet.
Got a big pile of supplies and need to make another batch as I am starting to run low.
I haven't made any in probably 4 or 5 years.

jeffmac85

« Reply #96 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:49 PM »
Very nice.   What do you clear coat your floats with?   I was thinking of using 2part epoxy but it doesn't seem thin enough to get a nice thin even coating.   

boondox

« Reply #97 on: Feb 11, 2016, 12:19 AM »
Very nice.   What do you clear coat your floats with?   I was thinking of using 2part epoxy but it doesn't seem thin enough to get a nice thin even coating.   

could try spar varnish or clear poly crylic it what I used on mine...

rlowery

« Reply #98 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:48 PM »
Does anyone have thoughts/ reviews for the Rainshadow or Pac Bay blanks? I was looking at them as some very reasonably priced fly and spinning blanks, lots of options to choose from. I found the best prices on Acidrods.com, they seem like a good sight, variety, prices, and shipping costs at least.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #99 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:16 PM »
I've purchased from Acidrods. Good company. I've handled a few Rainshadow blanks. They're a decent blank for the price. I'd buy a TFO blank first, but only because I've built several and own a couple.

Is there a specific rod you're looking to build?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rlowery

« Reply #100 on: Feb 12, 2016, 03:44 PM »
I had a few on my list. I wanted to do a few for myself and a few as gifts.

1: Small stream fly rod - was thinking of a 3/4pc 7-8' 3/4 weight, with a 7'6" 4wt being what i have started to settle on
 I absolutely love dry fly fishing, and don't mind smaller trout if the scenery is pleasant and people are few and far between. It could double as a panfish rod as well, but I already own a decent Grey's 8' 4wt 4 peice that may be better suited for that. I just like the idea of a custom as my main go-to stream rod

2: Walleye/Smallmouth spin/jig - was thinking around 6'9"-7'6" 1pc med/med-light power, fast action
I do a ton of drop shotting, as well tube jigs, bucktails, twisters, and various plastics. I like something with good feel, especially down to about 1/16oz jigs up to about 3/16-1/4. I mainly use 6lb mono, but was introduced to the world of braid recently.

I have 2 shimano rods I love, but both have about 3" or so missing off the tips. One started as a 7'6" MH fast action Compre, the other was a 7'ML fast Claurus, both 1 piece. I am looking for something along those lines

3: Bottom bouncing river noodle rod - was thinking 8'6" to 9'6" med action for drifting worms and trolling stickbaits

I grew up on the Oswego river, so between the bass/walleye and trout/salmon the noodle rods grew on me. I drift along the bottom worms and leeches in spring/summer for walleyes and bass, and the occasional trou, and then throw spoons and "walk the wall" with smithwicks for eyes in the evenings. I have an old Eagle Claw Granger 9' 2pc spinning rod that I use for this now. I mainly fish 1/8 to 1/2oz for bottom bouncing, on 6-8lb mono

The gift rods would be a similar fly rod for one of my fishing partners who is just starting to fly fish, targeting stream trout. I have a friend getting married this summer I wanted to build a similar bass/walleye spinner for, and a mentor I wanted to build the same.

From there who knows..

boondox

« Reply #101 on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:03 PM »
pac bay and rain shadow blanks are awesome if In to fly fishing sign up for hookhack.com's web  site email and get alerts and such on blanks on sale mostly 20% off all the time but some of the rx8 go for 50% off is why I say it.. this was last I built.... they sell a lot of pac bay and rain shadow blanks for fly fishing and I have nothing but good to say about the blanks I built on those... they may not be as fun or as good as the old loomis blanks...  but can be heavy  and tip heavy but make good rods  when done... and it is a fun experience working your way up to better blanks... like loomis rods blanks

boondox

« Reply #102 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:18 PM »
Does anyone have thoughts/ reviews for the Rainshadow or Pac Bay blanks? I was looking at them as some very reasonably priced fly and spinning blanks, lots of options to choose from. I found the best prices on Acidrods.com, they seem like a good sight, variety, prices, and shipping costs at least.

also sign up for get bit out doors emails I just got one today for 50 % off of blanks like spinning gear them and hookhack.com have had all my business for blanks and rod building besides mudhole.com which is really over priced... but to save 150 -300 on a fly rod but spend that to build the spinning rod you can buy for $40 .. cause you skimp here to pay there....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #103 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:22 PM »
Got a start on the next fly rod today.

So far so good ;D

Rg

Drifter_016

« Reply #104 on: Feb 15, 2016, 11:39 AM »

I dip them in gloss Varathane and sand between coats.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.