FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Need some advice water in oil in lower unit - Evinrude 15hp  (Read 3714 times)

TheDL

I have an older 15HP evinrude.  Had the impeller replaced at Ward's marina in kingston 2 seasons back.  Changed the lower unit oil at the end of that season and it was a bit milky...thought it might have been the little plastic seals in the fill/drain screws, so I put new ones in.  Changed it this spring after another year of use and the oil was very milky:

Had a buddy walking me through on the phone, but I couldn't seem to get at the seals...removed the top and bottom bolt from pic #1 but coudln't seem to pull that section away from main motor and didn't want to force it.  Now, I'm thinking of taking it into a marina for repair...unless someone has some good advice for me on how to tell exactly where the water is getting into the oil? or where to go next troubleshooting this issue?  Can you tell anything from looking at the pic of prop shaft/seal?

If no advice on DIY, anyone know a good shop around brockville to take this into?

Thanks!
tight lines....

Mac Attack

Re: Need some advice water in oil in lower unit - Evinrude 15hp
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2015, 03:30 PM »
Take that thrust washer of the prop shaft and you will see the seal behind it.

The thrust washer has the numbers embossed into it.

Big Ice Hole

• So many fish, so little time
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2015, 03:31 PM »
Check YouTube all sorts of info on there.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2015, 03:53 PM »
If there's no play in the propeller shaft, it'smore likely the seal below the impeller. Go,to Boatparts.net for an exploded view of the lower unit. Not to tough a job  for the average Joe with a couple of wrenches.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2015, 04:37 PM »
If there's no play in the propeller shaft, it'smore likely the seal below the impeller. Go,to Boatparts.net for an exploded view of the lower unit. Not to tough a job  for the average Joe with a couple of wrenches.

Rg

What the hell do you know about small hp outboards?

:D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2015, 05:10 PM »
Oh, more than some, less than others.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

TheDL

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Take that thrust washer of the prop shaft and you will see the seal behind it.

The thrust washer has the numbers embossed into it.

Thanks!  Should I just pull, twist, or what?  What should I see in there?
tight lines....

TheDL

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2015, 09:52 AM »

Rg
There's no play in the prop shaft....boatparts.net isn't an active website...I'm up for DIY if I can get the right info...I do have some wrenches, but not much knowledge of motors and don't want to make things worse  ???
tight lines....

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Thanks!  Should I just pull, twist, or what?  What should I see in there?

yes.
 ;D

It comes off.
But it's probably stuck there with grease, dirt, etc.
You will see and recognize the seal behind it.
You can pop out the seal with a small screwdriver usually.
The seal is cheap and easy to replace.
Do it no matter what.
Also clean up things.
And then use a light coating of waterproof grease when you assemble things back together.

Here's a video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBgybucU67U

;D
Here's a few that are actually useful -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IolYFjaNtHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ6Yz6lGIZc

I also recommend that you buy a shop manual for the motor if you plan to keep it.
Checking and changing things like the seals are detailed very well for you in there.
Here's one -

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Evinrude-Outboards-1973-89-Repair/dp/089330008X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429035539&sr=8-1&keywords=evinrude+manual

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2015, 01:21 PM »
There's no play in the prop shaft....boatparts.net isn't an active website...I'm up for DIY if I can get the right info...I do have some wrenches, but not much knowledge of motors and don't want to make things worse  ???

Buy the shop manual before you go further.
Tons of great info in them.
Also detailed procedures on things like this.
Money well spent.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2015, 05:05 PM »

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/parts.html?gclid=CPXtrtvV2MQCFY4dgQodKmkA8w

My bad...here's a link.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2015, 11:03 PM »

Rg
\

that is my guess there to the water cooling impeller seals one or a few of them went bad.. had the impeller go bad on my Johnson Evinrude  25 horse..  if you think about it long enough the first thing they have you do is drain the lower unit oil to get it apart and last thing you really do is fill the oil..  so it is very simple and should be done asap my guess is they did not seat the impeller on the drive shaft correctly on that motor... when it was done the first time some time... it takes tinkering to get them to fit right and most mechanics are under a time constraint that why they charge by the hour... that's why i don't like any one working on my cars boats etc etc cause mechanics  slap sh*t together some times wrong... that coming form a mechanics stand point from what i have seen before from other mechanics.   if you do do it your self or have it done find some one else to do it see what they think happened could be it went cause of a bent drive shaft or some thing like it to? like in  doles law sh*t happens. and to the best of us when we need it not to the most... mite be the guy did it right it just went bad to?   try not to jump to conclusions from what i am saying here is what i am thinking about here... but for sure redo the impeller seals and impeller....   

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2015, 04:16 AM »
I had a similar problem with my 1978 Johnson 35. I replaced the prop shaft seals last spring and I'm GTG. lots of running last year and still no water in the gear case.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.