FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NYC DEP Reservoirs  (Read 78763 times)

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
Re: NYC DEP Reservoirs
« Reply #300 on: Mar 06, 2017, 06:12 AM »
Hey guys,

I posted these questions on its own thread and was encouraged to repost here....

New member here and first time poster. I have seen some posts on here (1 in particular) in regards to brown trout in several of the NYC water supply reservoirs. I grew up hunting at a camp in Margaretville and spending afternoons during turkey season chasing smallies on the Pepacton. The last two years I lived in PA while attending grad school and was bit hard by the brown trout bug. However all of my trout fishing in PA was in limestone mountain streams. I just took a job in Delhi and have a lot of interest in trying to figure out how to get into the browns on the Pepacton or Cannonsville.

So I have some questions I was hoping some guys on here might be able to answer for me (without prying too much).

Question 1. I was told that the best fishing from shore is at ice out (which happens to be right now). According to the fishing syllabus "Trout season" is from April 1 to sometime in October I believe. This information is also accompanied with legal lengths and limits for keeping trout. Does this mean that trout can only be kept April 1 through October whatever? Meaning that catch and release fishing is permitted year round?

Question 2. Are the browns generally in localized pockets, or can they be found all throughout the reservoirs? I have been fishing the Pepacton (near where rt 30 crosses) for 15 plus years now and do very well with the smallies (occasional large mouth, perch, pickerel) but have never caught a single brown. Now I know I haven't been fishing over deep water targeting browns etc, however I have spent a lot of time chasing pre spawn smallies with jerk baits (my go to for stream browns in PA). I would think that if there were browns there I would have accidentally caught one in all those years? Which leads to my next/final question...

Question 3. What are the most common and successful techniques (both from shore and boat)? I'm not trying to get any secrets out of anyone, but just looking for general techniques, colors, speed, depths. Any info you guys are willing to give up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Ben

Ben, sent you a PM!

taxid

« Reply #301 on: Mar 06, 2017, 04:00 PM »
Any of you guys know what strain of browns your DEC plants in the reservoirs? I know they discontinued the See Forellens years ago due to disease issues. New York was the first state to bring that strain in.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

jager61

« Reply #302 on: Mar 11, 2017, 06:56 AM »
Got a mount back of a nice male I caught last April on The Roundout.  April 1st can't come fast enough!  :D

MK

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #303 on: Mar 11, 2017, 06:59 AM »
Good looking mount....h2l

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #304 on: Mar 11, 2017, 07:04 AM »
Looks great Mike... Congratulations...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #305 on: Mar 11, 2017, 08:34 AM »
Beautiful mount, Mike!  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

jager61

« Reply #306 on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Thanks guys!

MK

taxid

« Reply #307 on: Mar 12, 2017, 10:39 PM »
Nice mount!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

CHEZ2

« Reply #308 on: Mar 21, 2017, 06:41 AM »
Got a mount back of a nice male I caught last April on The Roundout.  April 1st can't come fast enough!  :D

MK

Great fish Brother...
I got boats on Cannonsville and Downsville.
I got an extra one in the back yard.
I was thinking on putting it on the Roundout or Neversink.

Im from Pa.
I try every April 1 to be at Cannonsville Throwing Spoons.
Its nice this year.April 1 is on a Saturday.
Seem to get a lotta smaller Browns throwing spoons.
We allways get into the Smallies also.
April 1 will be here in a few days.
Im with you.I CANT WAIT.

jager61

« Reply #309 on: Mar 21, 2017, 07:42 AM »
Thanks Chez, appreciate the kind words!

Of the two reservoirs you're considering, I would choose Roundout but I'm partial to the lakers! Love jigging for them and RO is loaded!! I have a boat on Pepacton (Downsville) which as you know, is a brown factory!! It's a blast trolling for them there! This year I'll be putting a boat on Neversink. It too has a good reputation for big Browns and I understand it also has LLS! Good luck and wishing you a successful season on the Ressies! Only 11 more days!  ;D

MK

CHEZ2

« Reply #310 on: Mar 21, 2017, 05:47 PM »
Thanks Chez, appreciate the kind words!

Of the two reservoirs you're considering, I would choose Roundout but I'm partial to the lakers! Love jigging for them and RO is loaded!! I have a boat on Pepacton (Downsville) which as you know, is a brown factory!! It's a blast trolling for them there! This year I'll be putting a boat on Neversink. It too has a good reputation for big Browns and I understand it also has LLS! Good luck and wishing you a successful season on the Ressies! Only 11 more days!  ;D

thank you buddy.
that Brown you got mounted.
out of the roundout.how big was he???
You get it flatlinning or trolling?

MK

jager61

« Reply #311 on: Mar 21, 2017, 07:56 PM »
You bet Chez!

It was 12lbs, got it late April last year flatlining a live Sawbelly, about 100' out with no weight. I always run two suspended saws on down lines off each side of the boat and the flat line for the trout that feed on the surface, especially in the morning!!  VERY productive on Pepacton too!

MK

CHEZ2

« Reply #312 on: Mar 22, 2017, 06:36 AM »
Thank you brother.
Thats a great trout.
I like 2 rods down with sawbellies on baitrunner reels.
1, 24' and 1 ,27' down.
Then a flat line off the back also sumtimes with a slipbobber set at 7'...

Once on Cannonsville i was flatlinning like you.
No weight or bobber a d a Seagull come down and took the bellie.lol.
He flew off with it and eventually spit it out.
Did you ever get into any of the big carp by accident???
I hooked one on Downsville and it took me a half mile out of the hollow.I thought i had a world record brown.Man they can put up a fight.
Funny stuff buddy.
Tks for thd info.
Im gunna keep an eye out for you on this board.
Good Luck.

jager61

« Reply #313 on: Mar 22, 2017, 08:12 AM »
LMAO! One of the guys on our local forum for the DEP waters hooked a seagul that picked up a saw and he reeled it in!! He actually removed the hook but not before having been pecked at and bit until he was bloody! Haha! I would've just cut the line!! I have also hooked Carp on Gleneida here in Putnam Co and been taken for a boat ride! They're fun to catch! 

MK

CHEZ2

« Reply #314 on: Mar 22, 2017, 06:57 PM »
Ya Buddy....
Them carp are a riot man.
They pull you all over the dam.
Im dying to hook into one on my yak.

The gull that took my sawbellie never hooked itself.
Spit it out before it did any damage to itself.

Would be great to meet on Downsville.
My boat is at Millers Hallow.

I got 3 on cannonsville.1 up front 1 at the bridge and 1 right inbetween both.
Check out this pic of Cannonsville last fall.it was down to 45% here.
This is right before the bridge.my boat is right behind thst big rock.
When the water is up to normal we crush the smallies around that rock.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.