FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NYC DEP Reservoirs  (Read 78783 times)

taxid

Re: NYC DEP Reservoirs
« Reply #315 on: Mar 23, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Just curious. Are you guys allowed to use an electric motor or do you have to stick to oars?

And don't worry I'm not going to fish there. Just curious.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #316 on: Mar 23, 2017, 01:07 PM »
Row only...   ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
« Reply #317 on: Mar 23, 2017, 02:08 PM »
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I believe Cannonsville is the one DEP reservoir that permits the use of electric troll motors but it's a tedious process. All others, as Dom stated, are row only! I hope it stays that way too!

MK

taxid

« Reply #318 on: Mar 23, 2017, 03:41 PM »
Thanks for reply guys.

I remember guys that rowed with lead core line on a small lake in Mass when I was a kid, and they did quite well with the trout. Better than rest of us that were fishing on the bottom. I was a kid so I had no access to a boat.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

jager61

« Reply #319 on: Mar 23, 2017, 05:39 PM »
Out of necessity I learned how to troll LC via rowboat and it's quite effective! Especially with Sutton or similar flutter spoons, with a rowboat you can easily control rise and fall of the spoon, make 90 deg sharp turns, instantly speed up or put on the brakes, movements that are not so easily accomplished with a motor boat. And it's these movements that often make trout aggressively strike your spoon!! Trolling cranks is also effective but it requires constant rowing which for physical reasons is difficult for me. In my personal experience, I do much better with spoons and I've applied these techniques up in the Adks on lakes using  a rowboat up there too!

MK

CHEZ2

« Reply #320 on: Mar 24, 2017, 06:18 AM »
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I believe Cannonsville is the one DEP reservoir that permits the use of electric troll motors but it's a tedious process. All others, as Dom stated, are row only! I hope it stays that way too!

MK

You are 100% correct jagar61.
Trolling motors are allowed on Cannonsville.
Must be powerwashed and numbered.same as the boats.
Also must be left with the boat.no taken home daily.
Bad thing is 2 of my Boats at Cannonsville are downhill BIGTIME.
ITS hard enough getting the gear to and from them ,never mind a Marine Battery.
I do have a boat very close to the Bridge at Cannonsville.
Lugging the batery to that one wouldnt be too bad.

What i am going to try this year is to Anchor.
Ive been watching a lot of guys doing that as of late with great success.
Any of you guys Anchor on these Dams?

Bluejeep00

• Kayak Angler
« Reply #321 on: Apr 02, 2017, 05:40 AM »
Hello everyone,

New to this site and I am a Kayak angler on mostly the Pepacton. You fellas are correct about the trolling motors on Cannonsville. It would be nice if they would expand this program a bit. It was started as a pilot program on the Cannonsville a number of years ago and the DEP has dragged their feet, as they do in many things regarding boating, even though the program has been a success on the Cannonsville. As a Kayak Angler, I have been prompting them, the DEP, to acknowledge the difference between Kayak Anglers and Recreational boaters. Most notably in the fact that the Rec. Boating program doesn't allow Kayaks on the water until Memorial Day weekend. I have been requesting they change that date for Kayak anglers to May 1st.
Pepacton Kayak Angler

loustru

Chez-anchoring
« Reply #322 on: Apr 02, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Chez, I have caught many large browns and lakers on anchor in New Jersey. I fish my bait at different depths. When the wind kicks up there is nothing else you can do. Put your rods in rod holders around the boat and wait. Lou

taxid

« Reply #323 on: Apr 02, 2017, 09:21 PM »
ITS hard enough getting the gear to and from them ,never mind a Marine Battery.

Whoever or whatever corporation invents a light weight deep cycle battery will make a fortune!

CHEZ2

Re: Chez-anchoring
« Reply #324 on: Apr 03, 2017, 05:50 AM »
Chez, I have caught many large browns and lakers on anchor in New Jersey. I fish my bait at different depths. When the wind kicks up there is nothing else you can do. Put your rods in rod holders around the boat and wait. Lou

Ya Buddy!!!!!!!
Thats my Plan This season.

Tom Hannock

« Reply #325 on: Apr 03, 2017, 01:54 PM »
We fished multiple locations on the Ashokan Saturday and came up empty but it was great to get out.  Water is fairly low for April and no water flowing over the weir but it was nice and clear.  Hardly anybody out for opening day being a Saturday and only saw one boat out.  DEP staff was driving around handing out some goodies like a tape measure and foam key chain holder in the shape of a fish.  Gonna give it another week to warm up a bit and try again.  
Friends don't let friends use tipups.

jager61

« Reply #326 on: Apr 15, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Pair of nice trout this morning trolling LC, 3 Colors and Suttons! Both released! 😃
Happy Easter everyone!

Swampking89

« Reply #327 on: Apr 15, 2017, 03:46 PM »
Nice job.had to be a nice day to be out.is that 2'nd one a LL or a brown? Either way,nice!!

jager61

« Reply #328 on: Apr 15, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Thanks Swamp! It's a brown but a very silvery specimen!

MK

lowaccord66

« Reply #329 on: Apr 16, 2017, 04:19 AM »
Nice job Mike!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.