FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: VIDEO - LAKE ERIE EYES  (Read 5201 times)

Be pro

Re: VIDEO - LAKE ERIE EYES
« Reply #15 on: Apr 24, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Thanks for the info dude diff gonna check it out I hope they pay for it (insurence company)

tater140

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2015, 08:30 AM »
Did the tech recommend any particular type of additive for fuel.  I tend to put some stabil in my tank every couple of fill ups and always at the end of the year.   I don't know if Stabil has any "anti-water" capabilities though.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Did the tech recommend any particular type of additive for fuel.  I tend to put some stabil in my tank every couple of fill ups and always at the end of the year.   I don't know if Stabil has any "anti-water" capabilities though.

You should ALWAYS add some sort of fuel stabilizer to your gas at every fill up.  Startron, Sta bil, seafoam, etc...there are many that work. 

Years ago as Ethanol was forced on us and added to most gasoline, they told me I should ALWAYS add Marine grade sta bil every time I put gas in the tank.  1oz treats 10 gallons of fuel during normal use periods were you are not storing for more than 30 days.  If storing, then 1oz for each 5 gallons is recommended.  Most don't understand what Stabil does.  It DOES NOT remove water from the fuel.  It has some very minor water binding properties, but can't overcome a water in the fuel situation.  Ethanol fuels can have up to 3 to 4 tsp of water in them per gallon.  Any more than that and the begin encountering phase separation at which point the water and ethanol fall to the bottom of the fuel tank and the gas rides on top.  Gas of any kind degrades over time, especially when exposed to air.  Even in a closed tank where evaporation is limited, if you have a bunch of air the gas below it will degrade more rapidly than a near full tank with limited air.  Stabil is designed to prevent/slow this degradation by binding with fuel molecules and reducing their interaction with air.  If gas degrades too much it will not burn.  Stabil will not restore bad gas to good gas.  Gas that has degraded too far should not be used and gas that has experienced phase separation should never be used and motor damage will occur. 

fusterduck

« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2015, 09:14 PM »
This is a good link to explain water attraction to Ethanol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzFzYoxxA10. I did some research after finding 4 gallons + in my tank of 125 gal. but it might as well have been all water as it was past the pick up tube. I used Seafoam but not Ethanol treatment. I see not that Seafoam makes an Ethanol treatment which leads me to believe the original does not combat Ethanol efficiently enough.  I have a carb'd motor and at about 2000 RPM to boat died luckily with no bad damage but sounds like it could have been really bad. I had must of used what was in my carb and water separator and made it about a half mile the first trip of the year (2012.) I probably put it away with a couple and picked up more over storage as it sits in the water.

You are probably right on about the gas station. If you used 89 oct or 93 it may be sitting all winter collecting water while cars use 87 and come boat season we get it. They are supposed to have water separators at the station too but you know how that goes. Maybe a call over the weekend to the station when kids are working (and less likely to cover up) they may admit to hearing issues or if it is not near a marina you may be able to go back and it is still in there for proof. A boat repair shop local to that gas station may have info as well.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #19 on: Apr 30, 2015, 01:46 PM »
This is a good link to explain water attraction to Ethanol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzFzYoxxA10. I did some research after finding 4 gallons + in my tank of 125 gal. but it might as well have been all water as it was past the pick up tube. I used Seafoam but not Ethanol treatment. I see not that Seafoam makes an Ethanol treatment which leads me to believe the original does not combat Ethanol efficiently enough.  I have a carb'd motor and at about 2000 RPM to boat died luckily with no bad damage but sounds like it could have been really bad. I had must of used what was in my carb and water separator and made it about a half mile the first trip of the year (2012.) I probably put it away with a couple and picked up more over storage as it sits in the water.

You are probably right on about the gas station. If you used 89 oct or 93 it may be sitting all winter collecting water while cars use 87 and come boat season we get it. They are supposed to have water separators at the station too but you know how that goes. Maybe a call over the weekend to the station when kids are working (and less likely to cover up) they may admit to hearing issues or if it is not near a marina you may be able to go back and it is still in there for proof. A boat repair shop local to that gas station may have info as well.

Most outboards don't require or RECOMMEND using octane levels higher than 87 in them (racing motors are different).  I put in 87 octane at that station, but as I was pumping gas there was a gas truck onsite too.  I did not look to see if he was actively filling the underground tank, but even if he had just finished, if there were water in the bottom of the underground tank it could have been mixed in with the new gas (depending on how low the underground tank was) from the truck and gone into my tank where it would quickly settle back out to the bottom of my tank where the pick up is.   It has been nearly a week and a half still no word from the insurance.   ::)

Jig_Head

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 12:29 AM »
Great video, great songs, no bad hats. I would love to make a trip there myself. Sorry to hear about the motor

FishKing83

• ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 07:19 AM »
Great video, great songs, no bad hats. I would love to make a trip there myself. Sorry to hear about the motor
Thanks, there was 1 bad sweatshirt but I'm pretty sure that's why he only caught 1 ;D
ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.