FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Canoe Dolly  (Read 4593 times)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
Canoe Dolly
« on: Apr 22, 2015, 09:07 AM »
   I like my Coleman canoe, but it's just too heavy to carry any distance. I've been looking at canoe carts/ dollies for a couple of years with some trepidation. My experience with them in the past hasn't been that good, but I decided to build one anyway. I've looked at a lot if internet do-it-yourself instructions using PVC pipe. I had a set of 14" dual bearing wheels, so off to the hardware store I went to buy fittings and a length of pipe.  This is what I came up with.

It only took about an hour for the initial build, but it seemed pretty flimsy. The plans I used called for separate bolts for axles. I changed that to one solid axle rod for both wheels. I added 5/16" threaded rods through both bunks to add strength. I also added a rope sling at both ends of the bunks to help support the canoe and to keep them from spreading apart. It seems fairly solid now.  I'll be putting it to the test in the weeks to come. I think it's going to hold up pretty well. We'll see...

One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

• I'd rather be fishing!
Re: Canoe Dolly
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2015, 09:58 AM »
i like it!
thanks for the share! nothing is more rewarding then home made and functional equipment.

looks like a lot of stress might be in the middle too and maybe another threaded rod there to keep the "T"'s from cracking from side pressure. maybe washers and nuts on both sides of the rods at the pvc contact points to keep pressure away from going inwards or outwards
makes me wonder why they don't make a "V" shaped hauler. run the strap thru the V and around the boat and buckle in the center of the boat. lot less materials would be needed.

i was looking at new canoes and they are really nice and have come a long ways from wooden seats like mine has and fiberglass hulls.
it was either going to be a new canoe or kayak. the canoes i knew i liked, but they weigh in at 85#. so that was a no go for me because of it. ended up with a 44# 10' kayak i can use one shoulder to carry. i still have my old canoe and never use it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Looks great!

Hmmmmmmmm! You just gave me a great idea for my Toon.

Like I need another project :-\

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Yachtzy

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2015, 04:42 PM »
 I like your build, great job! I'm going to try the same thing with one alteration. I have a 10' pelican, when loaded weighs way more than a canoe. So I was thinking like maybe 1" IPS galvy pipe (threaded). These new boats don't like to be dragged at all, they wear out too easy. Those tires look rugged too, my $100 HD garden cart didn't even last one season. Thank you for the idea.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2015, 10:20 PM »
Thanks all.

All of the joints are cemented except the two upright axle T's that support the bunks so that it can be broken down into 3 pieces to better stow in the canoe and for storage. I think I'm going to add a hose clamp around the outside of each of the female halves of those two joints (on the axle) to add some strength and help prevent cracking.

Any that I've seen on the net have foam pipe insulation or swim noodles on the bunks. I don't think that's necessary on mine, but if the dolly was made out of galvanized, I would definitely use it.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Mbart

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2015, 03:41 PM »
pvc cart, google search, palmetto kayak cart

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2015, 07:57 PM »
That was part my inspiration.   8)

perchgypsy

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Nice job...I notice with mine I mount it closer to the front then pick up the back and push.....works better for me going couple miles or more thru adk mountains....put my weight near wheels and I'm off....30 pk n all....

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Thanks. Going to give it the first real trail test tomorrow.  ;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 01:31 PM »
Well, the proof is in the pudding. I pushed/ pulled the canoe and dolly just about 4 1/2 miles round trip over some pretty rough trail between last night and this morning. The dolly held up well and served it's purpose. I'm pretty satisfied.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.