FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Large Mouth Bass  (Read 3238 times)

Blue Mago

Large Mouth Bass
« on: Apr 26, 2015, 10:10 PM »
I'll start by saying I am Canadian and we don't have any large Mouth Bass anywhere here in my province , although there had been a attempt made years ago in a old gravel pit that had been successful for a few years I hear ? apparently they died off ??I read , watch , see a lot about the fish but no one ever says if they eat them ? just catch and release ?? We have the small mouth which I hear everyone saying that they just catch for the battle as they fight fairly hard , Fresh water Drum which is a bass of sorts  but as in what I hear they are all to fatty to eat ?? So what's the scope ? I've asked it before and haven't ever gotten a reply . Just curious as I will most likely never fish for them unless I travel south .I seems to be a very stocked fish as in ponds etc .......any insight would be great .

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
Re: Large Mouth Bass
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 AM »
bass, both smallmouth and largemouth, are delicious. if you do keep them, keep them on the small end for a couple of reasons.

first, releasing larger fish makes for a much better gene pool, as well as giving you a chance at a true giant the next time you visit the spot.

second, bass are a second-level predator. meaning that on a food chain, you have "plankton" (prey species), "small fish" (first-level predator), and then "large fish" (second-level predator). that wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for pollution and mercury content in fish.

plankton pick up bits of mercury as they eat, the small fish eat the plankton and thus get a much more concentrated dose of mercury. when the large fish comes along, they get a HUGE dose of mercury since they're eating the small fish with a higher mercury content.

now, we're talking absolutely ridiculously small amounts of mercury relative to the size of the fish here, so it's perfectly safe to eat bass and such, you just shouldn't eat too much too often depending on your age and weight.

basically, the smaller the fish, the less mercury is in its system. i encourage you to try bass, they're particularly good baked or in chowder.

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2015, 07:43 AM »
Every LM I have eaten tasted like mud... There are MUCH better eating fish IMO... Others have a different opinion, but people eat all kinds of things I would not!

MattyP123

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2015, 09:32 AM »
If the season was open during the ice fishing season here in NY I would keep some 12-13"ers. I agree with stripernut though, definitely other better eating fish in the sea!

TheDL

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2015, 11:54 AM »
What province do you live in that has no large mouth bass?

I eat them, they taste fine - definitely eat the smaller ones.  I actually like them better than small mouth for eating, but both are fine.  There are better eating fish out there...I personally think you can't beat jumbo perch.
tight lines....

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2015, 04:19 PM »
Every LM I have eaten tasted like mud... There are MUCH better eating fish IMO... Others have a different opinion, but people eat all kinds of things I would not!

I know what you mean "tasted like mud." And when they do they are absolutely disgusting. However, the only bass I have found to taste like mud are ones caught in warmer waters. Bass I have taken from the colder depths of Lake Erie have been as good a table fare as any other fish. Now I admit my taster is not the most discerning.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2015, 04:20 PM »
LMB are "Gamey" IMO I am not a big fan of them I am a strictly C&R guy when it comes to bass.  I know people that eat them and enjoy it.  To each there own.  I just like the fight that they put up.
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

Blue Mago

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2015, 07:31 PM »
What province do you live in that has no large mouth bass?

I eat them, they taste fine - definitely eat the smaller ones.  I actually like them better than small mouth for eating, but both are fine.  There are better eating fish out there...I personally think you can't beat jumbo perch.

Manitoba , only one place that has had them as I said , but something in the water killed them off I was told , other wise just small mouth

merkleyb

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:07 AM »
Bass are yummy, beautiful white fillets with no bones. But like a few others said - keep them on the smaller side. I'll keep greens or browns both up to 2 pounds, and no more.
I also agree that they are better when the water is cold. I'll keep about a dozen at the beginning of season and that's it. All the rest I CPR...
"Anyone can be a fisherman in May." (E. Hemingway)

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:48 AM »
maybe the whole taste disparity thing is due to water quality and temperature.

i mean, here in Idaho we have ridiculously clean water. almost anything you catch is gonna taste decent, even carp have a relatively pleasant flavor around here, and since our waterways seldom go higher than about 70 degrees Fahrenheit, fish flesh is never really soft or spongy.

so i guess the problem is less the fish itself and more the water you got it out of. :-\

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2015, 05:57 AM »
so i guess the problem is less the fish itself and more the water you got it out of.

Nope, we have lots of VERY clean water in MA, Like Quabbin Reservoir , crystal clear water, great bass fishing along with salmon, trout, lakers and more...

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2015, 11:13 AM »
then i don't know what to tell you. obviously because bass taste terrible in one geographical area, they must taste terrible everywhere.

stripernut

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:14 PM »
Might be more like personal taste, we here are spoiled with a lot of great tasting salt water fish...

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2015, 12:32 PM »
Might be more like personal taste, we here are spoiled with a lot of great tasting salt water fish...

Come on now.....most of you Mainahs think of perch as trash fish. ;) ;D
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2015, 01:04 PM »
I am from MA and find perch thru the ice great eating...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.