FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Musky reel  (Read 3531 times)

Teacherpreacher

Re: Musky reel
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 08:26 AM »
My buddy has a pretty big mitt on him, he just wears fish down then brings it along side boat, reaches down and clamps down on both sides of gill plates. It paralysis them and he lifts them in the boat!!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

bldfrt

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 11:38 AM »
My opinion if you cast I'd steer clear of line counters. I'm a die hard muskie fisherman from iceout to iceup. I'm hard on my gear between rough conditions and big fish. I cast, troll, and fish suckers in the fall. In the beginning (7 years ago) I needed a reel that did it all. I was cheep and bought a couple round baitcasters with clickers (about $100 a piece). They didn't last 2 years! I am NOT brand married and now own several different brand reels for different applications. If you are looking for the best do it all reel, I own 2 Abu nacl reels just for that reason. One thing I'd recommend, do NOT get anything with less than a 20# drag weight!! That lesson has cost me many fish! Shoot me a pm with your number and I'd be happy to let you try mine out.

Is the low profile reel as strong and long term as a conventional round reel. The Abu is more than I was looking to spend by a little but if it's gunna last and will fit my needs and giant pool cue of a rod i'd be open to it. I mostly troll or fish suckers, also bear in mind I'm apparently not very good a fishing for musky so the reel I choose currently doesn't have to deal with many if any fish until something clicks for me

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Absolutely! I mostly use standard 6-8" baits and the occasional big blades and rubber and haven't had any issues. Was on St.Clair last year for a week ripping the snot out of the biggest baits I could find all day every day and the NACL ate them up. If you troll I'd suggest the 60/61 series because it holds more line. If you look around you can find them now for around $220

Tuna83

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Wallydiven I target muskies with those set ups

ftwwalleye

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Bldfrt.....you need to get yourself a 12 wt fly reel and rod...that sounds like the best option.....ha. I can't even imagine how bad your arm would hurt after chucking those giant flies and stripping line all day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.