FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Outboard Motor Question for the Mechanics  (Read 1235 times)

IFF

Outboard Motor Question for the Mechanics
« on: May 04, 2015, 09:52 AM »
Is there a wire that has to be energized on the motor for it to have spark when turned over ? Like having a key on. Maybe jumper to line that has a fuse ?

This motor does not have the boat controls hooked up.  Just the battery hooked from + terminal to starter, and - grounded to engine block.  Jumper to starter of course turns it over.
*¿*  Bud

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Outboard Motor Question for the Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:54 PM »
First things first........what year, HP, make, model number if possible.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

IFF

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Johnson 1975, 70 HP, (70ESL75E) followed my thinking, and powered up the red wire, on the motor plug, ahead of the fuse, hit the starter direct with plugs out and see it does have spark.  Much the same as not having key/switch set to run, and turning over it will not have spark.  Looks like I have a power pack for that motor as a spare.

Now just have to put the carbs in order and if push comes to shove will have a motor to replace the 140 that is on my boat now.

Well back to square one, now find that only the bottom cylinder had spark, after I put carbs and fuel lines on.  Rechecked for spark, and top two no spark
*¿*  Bud

IFF

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Might have to have the shop check it out, might be the power pack after all.
*¿*  Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.