FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tumbler Style Fish Scalers  (Read 2675 times)

stinkybaits

Tumbler Style Fish Scalers
« on: May 04, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Anyone have any experience with these or seen them in action. I skin everything now but I do enjoy the taste of skin on gill fillets. I'm just hate the mess of manual scalers. The tumble style look interesting and the ticket that is pulled behind the boat looked interesting but I'm not sure if that's legal in Indiana? I was going to call find out.

wallin

Re: Tumbler Style Fish Scalers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Expensive from what I've seen.
Wallin

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 01:06 PM »
I agree with you - I too, like the taste of a fillet with the skin on but the time to do it is longer than I want to put in.  Sure beats using a Coke bottle cap on the stump at grandma's house.  I scaled, she cut the head off and slit the belly, I pulled the guts out then I got to drink the bottle of Coke.  Go out on the front porch with grandpa and drink the Coke while grandma fried up the fish. (Thanks for the memory. If you get one, let us know what you think.)

bigr

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 01:29 PM »
From experience, there is a fine line when using one behind the boat. Scaled to sushi can happen fast. Ha Ha

stinkybaits

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 03:00 PM »
From experience, there is a fine line when using one behind the boat. Scaled to sushi can happen fast. Ha Ha

Lol! I'll scratch that off the list then.

Daybreak

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 05:04 PM »
I've got a buddy that has one of those rotating scalers.  He loves it.  Said it was worth the money after he used it for one summer.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

dsqui

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 06:36 PM »
i use this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cny-5VMUKcA

its amazing how mush less of a mess it makes and its so easy you just have to get the scaling attatchment for the electric knife

Be pro

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Not to be a tard but isn't that where the majority of the pollutes r in the fish

stinkybaits

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Not to be a tard but isn't that where the majority of the pollutes r in the fish

Ya but heck the grease will kill me before the pollutants. ;D

stinkybaits

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 08:00 PM »
i use this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cny-5VMUKcA

its amazing how mush less of a mess it makes and its so easy you just have to get the scaling attatchment for the electric knife

That's pretty sweet but it would double my current time. I could of had that filleted and skinned and half way through the next fish by the time he had it scaled. Drum looks sweet because I can be doing other stuff while it's scaling the fish. I've never seen the scaler attachment for a Mr Twister though pretty sweet.

pearly

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 08:52 PM »
I have a friend that has a potato peeler from a restaurant and it does a good job. It's electric, he puts water in it and turns it on and checks it to see when they are scaled. Don't know where to tell you to look for one, maybe Ebay. Pearly 

dsqui

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 03:25 AM »
hey i never said it was quicker just less messy lol ;)

princecraft

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 07:16 AM »
I have one that I haven't used since switching over to the electric knife.  They work very well.  Easily cleans 25 fish at a time.  And the size you catch, might be able to get 35 in there.  Just kidding Stinky, don't get your dander up.  Going to get rid of it in the near future.  It is just taking up space.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 07:21 AM »
Stinky, when I scale I put 6"- 8" of water in sanitary tub and use an old fashion metal scaler keeping the fish under the water. All the scales float off into the water. When done have a piece of window screen I place in drain to trap scales for disposal. Works pretty good, no mess.
My buddy has a tumbler at his place in the UP. I think it costs $200+.  It works pretty slick, if cost is not a factor. He loads it up, turns it on and walks away. Takes about 15-20 minutes as I recall. You put the fish in scaler whole. You can tell when they are scaled as the tips of their mouths are worn away.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

stinkybaits

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Teach you have all the cool tricks! I seen some pretty nice ones there's a hose that hooks upto one rinses while scaling but the water running for 20 minutes is going to maybe be an issue. The tumble drum in the tote looked kinda nice but fish load in from side rather odd not much room but definitely the cleanest and could use in winter indoor garage.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.