FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: best batterys for trolling motor  (Read 3094 times)

wingnut31

best batterys for trolling motor
« on: May 06, 2015, 12:19 PM »
looking to get a new battery for my trolling motor? what do you guys recommend? thanks

Pliskin1

Re: best batterys for trolling motor
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 12:42 PM »
Brands vary, and along with that, so do prices. 

Are you running a 12, 24 or 36 volt system?  Are you looking for AGM, GEL, or regular lead core? 

The key thing you need to look for is a deep cycle battery with a large reserve capacity.  I'm assuming you're saying you need a battery(ies) for just the trolling motor.  If its a dual purpose battery, i.e. cranking and trolling, than that changes things.

Deep cycle batteries are better equipped to be drained and recharged multiple times.  Starting batteries, on the other hand, are not. A starting battery will only survive a few deep cycles and recharging.

The RC rating on a deep cycle battery is the number of minutes that a new, fully charged battery can carry a 25 amp load at 80* F and maintain a minimum of 10.5v.

The higher the RC, the longer the battery would conceivably last.  There are also different size series:  24, 27, 31.  Bigger # = bigger battery. 

As for brands?  Personal preference.  I had 3 Interstates on my Champion Bass boat that lasted 6 years.  Sure, that was pushing it, but they worked! 

If $ is no object, you could look into spiral cell/AGM technology.  Weights of each battery can also have a role (say you're fishing out of a kayak and want something lighter). 

Brands like Deka could set you back $300+.
Optima will be $250+

There are tons of variables in buying a battery, along with what your budget is. 

SLAYERFISH

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 01:25 PM »
Yeah I have lead/acid batts for my trolling motor.  Interstate deep cycles that cost $125 each.  5 years now, still hold a good charge.

NYSporty

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 01:52 PM »
You want a true deep cycle battery not a marine battery marine batteries are for starting also and will never run as long as a Dc. If its rated in cca its not a Dc they are rated in amps per hour.

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:13 PM »
Here is some info I have posted before;
I was the Customer Service Manger for the leading marine battery charger company for years and I would suggest you stick with just Deep Cycle Batteries. I am sorry to say there is a whole lot of misleading (I am being kind) information put out from battery companies, making it much harder for the angler to choose. In the end with standard lead acid batteries, with quality being the same, go with the highest amp hours. That will give you the most time on the water.

The maintenance free batteries are sealed/vented and can loose electrolytes over time and once it gets to low the battery is shot. If you own it already, I would wait a while, make sure that there are no manufacturing issues with it, then pop the caps and add distilled water... Something to keep in mind is most batteries don't die, they are murdered! Improper charging is one of the biggest reason batteries die... You need to use a "Stepped" Charger, one that starts charging at about 14.6 volts and when the battery is charged drops to 13.3 volts. Most chargers you see out there are called "Automatic" and charge at 13.8 volts constant, which never quite fully charges and is to high to leave long term, so you go though more electrolytes...

Some info on Battery types you may find helpful, that I have posted before;
Battery Types- Lead Acid, AGM and Gel.

Lead acid battery technology has been around for generations. They are made, in the simplest of terms, of sheets of lead hanging in a liquid electrolyte (acid). A well made and well maintained lead acid battery is still the cheapest and longest lasting battery. They do have some disadvantages; lead acid batteries can leak, they need to be checked, filled, mounted upright and self discharge when sitting unused.  Just to mention a few of the things that need to be taken care of. There are sealed lead acid batteries, but they are a poor choice, since the electrolyte can not be replaced, if any is vented out, as all “sealed” batteries are vented.

The first common alternative to the standard lead acid battery was Gel battery. The electrolyte in the battery is turned into a Gel and sealed, but still vented. This eliminates many of the problems of standard lead acid batteries. With Gel batteries there is nothing to fill and they can be mounted in any direction. One of the biggest differences of a Gel battery is that it must be charged differently from other batteries and should not be charged over 14.1 vols. If it is charged at much more than that, cracks can develop in the Gel and the battery will no longer work.

The newest common battery technology to come alone in the past decade is AGMs, which stands for “Absorbent Glass Mat”. This type of battery comes in two forms; with first manufacturing method, the lead plates are rolled up with a layer of fiberglass like material, so that it looks like a jelly roll to make each cell, giving the battery the “six Pack” look. The second type has the same configuration as standard a lead acid battery, but between each of the layers of lead is the fiberglass like material. In both styles the fiberglass like material is semi saturated with electrolyte, eliminating battery leakage. With each style of manufacturing the layers are compressed and kept under pressure.  AGMs are now the most commonly used batteries in electric cars, hybrid cars, military and aviation (now lithium is taking over). Some advantages are;  unused they discharging very slowly, they are highly vibration resistant, and in some cases can be recharged  faster than any other batteries. This technology may make Gel batteries obsolete, but only time will tell.

jibbs

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 11:26 AM »
I use interstate in my nitro...reasonable price and hold up for 4 or 5 years
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Ice Dawg

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 11:43 AM »
Yeah I have lead/acid batts for my trolling motor.  Interstate deep cycles that cost $125 each.  5 years now, still hold a good charge.
I have had Interstate deep cycles in my boat since it was new in 2006. One is starting to take longer to charge now so I'm thinking of replacing them.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 12:41 PM »
Batteries are easy. Stay away from the NeverStart brand at Wally World and you are generally good. I use Interstate batteries as well. The real question is what are you charging them with?

reelrusty

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 12:54 PM »
 :D Unlike Jethro I've had good results with the "never starts". I run two 29 series for my 24 volt Minnkota and usually get about three years out of them and as a rule my season here in Wyoming is from March into November. I've got a ProMariner on board charger on them but don't leave it plugged in all the time. Just charge overnight 'til the green light comes on then disconnect. Don't let them sit discharged though and if it has been a few days since last on the water I'll refresh the charge for a few hours or overnight before I go. I troll or slow cruise banks fishing jigs mostly so my bow mount is used almost all day and I can get about a day and a half out of a charge. Will need to replace this year cause I didn't take them inside for the winter and am considering the AGM type though.

canoeist

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 07:35 AM »
The brand may be less important than the maintenance/charging. Get a good smart charger like Ctek 7002 and a cheap volt meter and make sure you dont run below 20% if capacity.

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 08:26 AM »
In the industry we find most batteries don't die, they are murdered...

NYSporty

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 11:36 AM »
In the industry we find most batteries don't die, they are murdered...

LOL 2X :D

danport

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 03:38 PM »
do you need to store lead acid batteries inside in the winter or can you just keep them charged?

stripernut

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 10:50 PM »
A charged lead acid battery will not freeze, a dead one on the other hand...

robbi

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 10:58 PM »
I run interstate 27's for my 24 volt Minnkota and my lowrance with structure scan.  No problems.........so far I'm getting a few years out of them.  I fish almost every weekend from March to November......and run them low often.  I charge everytime I come off the water.........and when the boat is sitting home for the week........I'm plugged in.  I've got a 3 bank onboard charger.   For the price I think I'm getting a great deal with these..........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.